Scott
Fort Collins

Alaska, Ketchikan

Suggestions for eleven days in Alaska not cruising

My wife and I are starting to plan a trip to Alaska for summer 2015.  We will have about 11 days and are wanting to concentrate on Southeast Alaska primarily using the marine highway.  We are reasonably adventurous and are looking for great lodges to stay and wildlife experiences.  We should be there for the salmon runs and peak whale watching in July/early August.  Any small towns, restaurants, lodges, tour company recommendations for wildlife watching, or just general suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Tess from Columbus

I haven't been to a place in Alaska that I didn't like! I really like Valdez. Plenty to do there - museums, hatchery, kayaking and other outdoor activities. Haines is another favorite. Be sure to take bug spray as the mosquitoes can be intense. And don't forget that it won't really get too dark in the summer, so if you have trouble sleeping, take eye-shades. Homer

1. Valdez (attraction)
  2. Haines (city)
  3. Homer (city)