Stephanie
Delaware

Alaska

Is Alaska a great vacation spot? What are the best things to see and do?

Hey Guys, my husband and I had the vacation of a lifetime in Jackson Hole and Yellowstone. We are trying to replicate that :-) and considering Alaska this summer. Is it all it's cracked up to be?? Also, if you've gone, what are the top three must see-do things?  

Valerie from Seattle

Stephanie, Alaska is the place to have an amazing experience comparable -- but definitely not the same -- as Yellowstone!

There are a lot of ways to get to Alaska, and that kind of determines your trip.

If you fly to Alaska, I'd recommend renting a car in Anchorage and driving a bit -- when I was there for Labor Day last year, I drove up to Denali to see Mt. McKinley, and back the next day. I also drove down to Seward with a stop in Girdwood on the way and one in Hopeon the way back. You can see a lot of the state with a car, and you'll need one to get around if you want to get out of Anchorage ... or even get around within Anchorage!

If you're taking a cruise to Alaska, I'd recommend one that leaves somewhere like Seattle, and makes stops in places like Juneau, KetchikanSitka, and Haines. These are all small towns (<50,000 people each), but have great opportunities to both A) see local/native cultural influences, and B) take tours to see cool things like glaciers and whale watching.

Short  answer: Alaska is all it's cracked up to be, and more. DO IT. :)

1. Anchorage (city)
  2. Denali (metro area)
  3. Seward (city)
  4. Girdwood (city)
  5. Hope (city)
  6. Juneau (city)
  7. Ketchikan (city)
  8. Sitka (city)
  9. Haines (city)

Gaia from Chicago

Hi Stephanie!

One of the best Alaskan trips is following the railroad, especially from Fairbanks to Seward. On the way, stop at Denali National Park and at AnchorageSewardis by the beautiful Kenai Fjords -you can take a tour of the Glacier. If like train travel, this route is one of the most scenic ever. 

Safe travels! (perhaps with the Alasks Railroad).

Gaia

1. Fairbanks (city)
  2. Seward (city)
  3. Denali National Park (park)
  4. Anchorage (city)

Aleks from Montpelier

I've been to Alaska 4 times. It is unparalleled for nature, mountains, glaciers, hiking, animal viewing, fishing, photography. In my experience, the best way to get around is by hitchhiking. You always get picked up, i never had any negative experiences. I hear alaska is the safest place to do it. Avoid cruise ships if you want to see Alaska :) To get around costal towns use Alaska Marine Highway and camp on the deck! 

Favorite places: Hope, McCarthyDenali Hwy

1. Hope (city)
  2. McCarthy (city)
  3. Denali Hwy (attraction)