David

Alabama

A few hours in Alabama

I will be driving with my teen-aged daughter from Atlanta to New Orleans in June, a day trip. Is there a recommended place to stop and see something, preferable like Selma; where should we stop to see and eat. Perhaps we will stop in Mississippi, but definately Alabama. We will be traveling on a Sunday. Thanks

I agree with Hazel that on the way from Atlanta a good place to visit is Mobile but I think the thing to visit there is The Fort of Colonial Mobile  Near there is Fort Gaines which is right across the bay from Fort Morgan (Alabama)  There's a ferry that goes across - this is where Admiral David Farragut is said to have issued the order "Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!" during the Battle of Mobile Bay.  Also near here in Theodore is Bellingrath Garden Mis and HomeThere's an admission fee and there is also a cafeteria there. 

Backing up a little, near Talladega in addition to the Speedway (which is interesting even if you are not a car racing fan, there is the Waldo Covered Bridge which WAS by a nice restaurant (seems to be gone now and there is a dearth of non-chain restaurants in this area - lots of BBQ places though).  There's also Kymulga Mill & Covered Bridge in Sylacauga and near Waldo is Desoto Caverns Parkway

From there you could go to Selma (Alabama) and Mobile.  Then I would take US 90 along the coast through Biloxi on the way to New Orleans

1. Atlanta (city)
  2. Mobile (city)
  3. The Fort of Colonial Mobile (attraction)
  4. Fort Gaines (attraction)
  5. Fort Morgan (Alabama) (city)
  6. Bellingrath Garden Mis and Home (attraction)
  7. Talladega (city)
  8. Waldo Covered Bridge (attraction)
  9. Sylacauga (city)
  10. Desoto Caverns Parkway (attraction)
  11. Selma (Alabama) (city)
  12. Biloxi (attraction)
  13. New Orleans (city)

I originally picked the area around Waldo for the restaurant by the covered bridge, but apparently it is no longer in business.  I have not eaten in any especially nice restaurants in Mobile, but south of Mobile in Tillman's Corner there is Dick Russell's an old fashioned BBQ place.  Also there are nice places to eat along the road to Fort Gaines.  There's nothing much around Ft.Morgan

Lydia

I would absolutely tour the USS Alabama and they have a Vietnam Memorial Wall there AND you have to eat at what has been named one of the best seafood restaurants in Alabama and is just a stone's throw away from the ship, Felix's Fish Camp Restaurant restaurant.  It's amazing!!

1. USS Alabama (attraction)
  2. Felix's Fish Camp Restaurant (restaurant)

In Montgomery, AL is the The Hank Williams Museum 118 Commerce St. ph. 334-262-3600 Sunday 1-4. Montgomery is one of the finest cities to drive in. 

Selma (Alabama) has a De Sota Memorial Marker by the River that l found interesting. I go to the Live Oak Cemetery when l am in Selma. When you drive on the Peace Highway between Montgomery and Selma it is pretty spiritual experience. There is also a Civil Rights Memorial in Montgomery that people love to visit. 

USS Alabama

2703 Battleship Parkway 

Mobile, AL 

1-800-GANGWAY

Mobile has a beautiful bay and l have always wanted to tour this battleship.

Your trip looks to be 6 hour drive. So these are my suggestions.

1. Montgomery (city)
  2. The Hank Williams Museum (attraction)
  3. Selma (Alabama) (city)
  4. Live Oak Cemetery (attraction)
  5. Civil Rights Memorial (attraction)
  6. USS Alabama (attraction)
  7. Mobile (city)