Aaron

Aachen

Ideas for weekend trips from Aachen

I will be living in Aachen for a year and I love to travel. In my home country Australia i would often do weekend getaways by car. However I do not have a car here. Europe is incredable and I want to make the most of my time here.

What are some ideas for cheap weekend trips I can do from Aachen?

So far I have been for trips to:
Amsterdam
Brussels/Bruges
Cologne
Dusseldorf 

Are there any beautiful places you would suggest?

There are some beautiful places very close to you. By train, you can easily get to Maastricht which is my favorite city in the region. It's the Netherland's oldest city, an old Roman city with many artifacts remaining, and a huge cultural and food center with museums, a lovely river, and lots to do. From Maastricht, try to get to Valkenburg and do the cave tour there. It's incredible. 

If you head up to Amsterdam again, especially in the spring, do try to get to the Keukenhof during tulip season. It's really quite special. If you can rent a car for a weekend, also go to Kinderdijk to see the windmills. Those two are both really worth going to. To fill some time, the towns of Gouda and Delft are also beautiful and the cheese market at Alkmaaris wonderful to see. To see those things, it would be worth a car rental and a couple days.

If you can find a way there, don't miss Monschau while your there and try to go during their Christmas market season. It's magical and absolutely gorgeous. Do try the locally made mustards (senf). I'm sure you can find a train down to Trier which is Germany's oldest city and another Roman one. It's also at the gateway of some phenomenal wine country along the Moselle River. There are some fairy tale towns in this area and several castles including the Burg Eltz.

Paris is only 4 hours away. Don't miss it. From there, with the train station, you can also see Château de Vaux-le-Vicomte and the Palace of Versailles.

Luxembourg is also worth a visit. Just a weekend in the city is wonderful.

I lived near Aachen for several years and honestly, there is more to see than you'll have time for even without a car. Just make a circle on the map and start exploring. Some of the small towns are really hidden treasures, so go where your interests take you. You'll want to stay longer.

1. Maastricht (attraction)
  2. Valkenburg (attraction)
  3. Keukenhof (attraction)
  4. Kinderdijk (attraction)
  5. Gouda (city)
  6. Delft (city)
  7. Alkmaar (city)
  8. Monschau (city)
  9. Trier (attraction)
  10. Burg Eltz (attraction)
  12. Château de Vaux-le-Vicomte (attraction)
  13. Palace of Versailles (attraction)
  14. Luxembourg (attraction)