Ruddy
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

15 days in europe. What to see and do.

I'm planning a vacation with my wife to europe. We only have 15 days. What cities should I see?, Best and non expensive itinerary.

Crystal from Anchorage

Hello,

Europe is a huge continent with an infinite variety of cultures, sights, food, and activities to see and try. I see price is one driving point, but it it hard to recommend what is the right place for you. Some questions you should ask yourself are:

Would I prefer a fast paced itinerary seeing and doing as much as possible, or just 3-4 places where I can relax and soak in the local culture?

Would I like to see the big famous cities, beaches, mountains, small quaint towns, or some mixture of this?

Do I want to see the staples or get off the beaten path?

Am I going during winter or summer?

Have I been to anywhere in Europe before?

All this being said if you want to save some money and go somewhere where your budget will go further, I would eliminate these countries as they are fairly expensive to travel in: Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, the UK, France, the Netherlands, Belgium, Switzerland, and Germany. Not that you can't have a lower budget holiday in these places, it's just that you can get more for your money elsewhere.

I would say some of the cheaper countries lie on the eastern side of the continent and there are some wonderful destinations there! Here are a couple of examples:

HungaryBudapest is one of my favorite cities of all times! I could easily spend the whole 15 days here, but there is some nice countryside and the smaller city of Pecs are great to visit too.

Croatia: The capital city of Zagreb County is quite interesting and the coastline is as beautiful as you could find anywhere in the Mediterranean. There are some great beach options, island hopping, and ancient Roman ruins with generally less tourists than you would find in somewhere like Greece.

RomaniaBucharest, like Budapest, is along the Danube River. I think the real gem of the country though is it's small cities and towns, and its rural areas, especially around Transylvania. There are also beautiful mountainous regions.

I hope this helps focus your brainstorming a little bit and gives you some ideas. I think no matter where you go in Europe you will have a great time!

Happy travels!

1. Europe (attraction)
  2. Hungary (attraction)
  3. Budapest (city)
  4. Pecs (city)
  5. Croatia (country)
  6. Zagreb County (attraction)
  7. Romania (attraction)
  8. Bucharest (city)

Rafael from Antwerp, Belgium

It depends a lot on your interests. I suggest you take a look at Google Flights. It has a very neat feature that helps you find cheap flights based on your interests.

Steve from Honolulu, Hawaii

Do your self a huge favor....with 15 days pick 1 country, at the most 2.  Otherwise you'll spend more time traveling then seeing.  So maybe some thing like this..5 days Rome, 5 days Tuscany, 4 Days Florence.    

Tiffany from Singapore

I agree with the previous posts.. what are your interests?

Though places like the UK, Germany etc may be more expensive as a destination, they may be a good entry point into Europe since flights are much cheaper to London, than somewhere in Croatia (from my experience at least). I found Lisbon and Prague to be fun cities to visit, with a lower cost than some other cities in Europe.

Also, what level of comfort are you looking for? There are many major cities where you could stay for relatively cheap in more of a hostel setting (with a private room).

Last September, my fiance and I went to Stuttgart, Berlin, Mallorca and Munich. We started with Stuttgart to visit some of his relatives, then built a trip around that - we decided we wanted to end in Munich to attend Oktoberfest. We found out Lollapalooza was happening in Berlin near that timeframe, so we added that to our itinerary. Are there any upcoming festivals, or events you'd like to include in your travels?

We visited each city for approximately 3 days. I would suggest if you are planning to see a few cities, add at least one location that is meant for relaxation... even better if its the last stop! I've certainly made the mistake of trying to see too many things at once, and feeling like I need a few days to recover after my vacation.

1. Lisbon (city)
  2. Prague (city)

Giorgia from Padua, Italy

If you are coming to Europe you have to visit Florence! You can't miss it!! 

I come from the north of Italy and this is absolutely one of my favorite city!!

I suggest you to have a look at this website, they help you with the accommodation but they also organize many interesting experiences, as cooking classpainting lesson or vineyards tour...

Have a nice holiday!! And if you'll choose Florence, enjoy it!! :)

1. Europe (attraction)