Kelly
Massachusetts

Items to bring on vacation that are not "typical"

Due to recent tragic news about a family being poisoned by carbon monoxide on vacation, it is advised for travelers to take along their own detectors. I'm just curious how many others will do this and is there anything else you bring on vacation that is not "typical" for health or safety? 

Maria from Fort Worth

I always bring breakfast bars, have bottle water, & a travel blanket in case of a roadside emergency & to prevent dehydration on planes. I also bring a small medical kit with hand sanitizer, aspirins, bandaids etc. If traveling with my dog, I bring pet immunization records for an emergency boarding situation. I bring instant coffee, change and dollar bills for vending machines and parking meters, & printed direction &/or GPS if cell phone service is unavailable. Also a flashlight and travel lysol.

Rasto from Edmonton

I wouldn't. You can't predict all possible bad scenarios that might unroll when on vacation. You would have to travel with a sea container. What is a probability of this happening to you anyway? Will you take a snake antivenom when going on a jungle trek? Or defibrillator because someone's heart might stop? Pack only what you really need or what might help you if something fairly common happens (diarrhea, cold, cuts or blisters,...) and enjoy your trip. Unfortunately, bad things we can't predict sometimes happen. But that's life.

Zoe from Chicago

If traveling overseas I know folks who make a copy of their passport cover page and visa if applicable, in the event the passport is lost or stolen - it's a lot easier if you have a copy in emergency situation. We also recently bought a door motion sensor that you can hang on a doorknob and that connects to an app on your phone (toddler recently learned to climb out of crib and started wandering the house at night). So while that was not bought for travel, might not be a bad thing to have.

Pat from Cambria

No, nor do I take additional door locks, alarms, nor any of the other stuff for "security" and "just in case" scenarios.

Janelle from Charleston

Taking proper precautions is necessary when travelling, but living in fear isn't.  Cancun had hundreds of thousands of visitors in the last year, but only 4 died of carbon monoxide poisoning.  Bringing a detector is overkill.

The best advice I can give is to get all your shots and take all your prophylaxis if you're going someplace where certain diseases are endemic, take all the basic precautions about eating and drinking if you're going someplace where food borne illness is common, stay away from any place that has political unrest or violence, and make sure you know where to go for help if you get sick when you're away.  Aside from that, just go with the flow, enjoy yourself, and try to take away as much from the experience as you can!

Jenna from Scituate

I used to have a travel smoke detector since not all countries require them.  

Jon from Kalispell

An herbologist at a health food store in Boulder once shared with me her secret travel carry.  Umi Boshi concentrate.  (making tea in hot water for any gastro-intestinal upset.)  My number one (depending upon destination) is cedar wood oil.  It is arguably the best essential oil for staving off unwanted insects / pests.  Namely bedbugs and mosquitos. (which can be picked up from public seats in transport or what have you).  Next don't ever leave home without emergency travel ins. If you can't afford it don't go.  Your out of your element and a mishap could alter the course of your life with medical expenses just like that.  Lean toward the conservative and be smart.  

John from Chicago

This isn't as much about safety, but we usually bring a portable white noise machine for the kids to sleep better. We like the Marpac Rohm, it charges by USB or you can plug it in with an adaptor. I also know some friends that have brought a baby camera. If you have a hotel suite, you can watch the baby if they are sleeping in a pack 'n play in the living room while you are in the bedroom.

If you are outside the US and your insurance is Medicare, you are not covered for any accident or illness.  But it should not be unusual that you should bring all your medications that you need for the trip.  That is basic to traveling. NOT unusual. Anyone who does not do that is pretty stupid IMHO.

I do not think that carrying a CO detector is necessary any more than I would carry a smoke alarm with me.  (And smoke would be far more likely than CO). 

I do carry a door chock so that I can prop the door open to get out when I am on my mobility scooter.

l read the FBI & CIA travel advisory websites. If you are on a cruise and go off the boat, you are not covered. Read up on medical things that can happen out of USA. The medical care is not the same. Bring ALL your own meds and pharmacy. l carry all my own medical devices. If you go out of this country, carry your own pharmacy, antibiotics, typhoid, malaria meds, staph infections. bp cuff. Read up on traveler medical problems like l do. l just told my kids last week, do not get off the ship.

Seveen

Toilet paper.

Maria from Fort Worth

I always bring breakfast bars, have bottle water, & a travel blanket in case of a roadside emergency & to prevent dehydration on planes. I also bring a small medical kit with hand sanitizer, aspirins, bandaids etc. If traveling with my dog, I bring pet immunization records for an emergency boarding situation. I bring instant coffee, change and dollar bills for vending machines and parking meters, & printed direction &/or GPS if cell phone service is unavailable. Also a flashlight.

Claudia from New York City

I wouldn't bring a carbon monoxide detector. I travel internationally on average four times a year, and my essentials (that may not be typical) are: 100% pure therapeutic essential oils - peppermint, lavender, spearmint, and Thieves (inspired by the legend of four 15th-century French thieves) Read more here.

When my kids were little, I brought a nightlight and flashlights.

Carbon monoxide occurs when there is a fire and there isn't enough oxygen.  There has to be some kind of flame for CO to occur.  So if the place you stay is all electric and you don't BBQ indoors or something, there should be no need for a CO alarm.  Since we recently replaced our oil furnace with geothermal we don't need our CO alarm anymore.  But it would not occur to me to take it on vacation, except that we have one on our boat.