1. Fun fact: Shanghai was originally a small fishing village with little hope of advancing past its swampy origins.
2. Interesting fact: Shanghai is now the largest city in China and the eighth largest in the world.
3. Weird fact: the Huangpu River that divides Shanghai in half never freezes and is ice free.
4. Fact: Shanghai is also known as the Pearl of the Orient and Paris of the East.
5. Progress fact: the majority of buildings going up in Shanghai are high-rise apartments.
6. Random fact: Shanghai cooking is sweeter than other areas in China and they consume more sugar than any other part of China.
7. Fact: The Shanghai World Expo was the biggest in history of world fairs.
8. Political fact: The Shanghai city flower is the white magnolia.
9. Trivia fact: Shanghai means 'on top of the sea'
10. Transportation fact: Shanghai has the world's most extensive bus system, but with an extensive subway network as well, transportation networks are not overly congested.
11. Shopping fact: Shanghai has more commercial shopping than anywhere in mainland China, proving that people in the pearl enjoy their capitalism.
12. Fun fact: Shanghai is the world's busiest sea port, and is an up-and-coming cruise destination.