We're bringing you Michigan state facts that will enhance your knowledge of this state. There are plenty of things about this place that you probably didn't know. Even those who have lived here may find new things they didn't know. Let's dive in!
1. Detroit is widely regarded as the car capital of the world.
2. The largest cement plant in the world is located in Alpena.
3. Colon is the largest manufacturer in the world of magic supplies.
4. While it's sometimes known as the "Wolverine State" there aren't any wolverines in Michigan anymore.
5. The oldest county in Michigan is Wayne which was incorporated in 1815.
6. The largest village in Michigan is Caro.
7. The official state reptile is the painted turtle.
8. The first cage-free open-exhibit zoo was the Detroit Zoo.
9. The Kellogg brothers accidentally discovered the secret to producing flaked cereal in Battle Creek, starting the trend of dry cereal and making this city the cereal capital of the world today.
10. The Sleeping Bear Dunes are 460 feet high near Lake Michigan.
11. The J.W. Westcott II is the only boat in the world that delivers mail to ships while they are away. It has been in operation for 125 years.
12. There are over 11,000 inland lakes and 36,000 miles of streams in Michigan.
13. There are also 116 lighthouse and navigational lights in the state.
14. You can stand anywhere in the state and still be within 85 miles of one of the Great Lakes.
15. This was the first state to guarantee every child a tax-paid high school education.
16. The flags of four countries have flown over Michigan: the France, England, Spain, and the U.S.
17. One of the largest moose herds still intact is protected in the Isle Royal Park.
18. The largest deposit of native copper in the world can be found in The Upper Michigan Copper Country.
19. The Michigan State Police built the first statewide police radio in the world in 1929.
20. There is more shoreline in Michigan than any other state except for Alaska.
These Michigan state facts are incredible, showing just how different one state can be from all the others.