We're here to talk about some amazing Louisiana state facts that will really expand your knowledge of this state. Without any delay, let's see what unique aspects Louisiana has to offer, shall we?
1. Mardis Gras began in south Europe. It is a celebration of food and fun just before the Catholic time of Lent which is 40 days of prayer and sacrifice.
2. The 1983 Special Olympics Summer Games were held in Baton Rouge.
3. The state capital here is the tallest in the United States at 450 feet tall and 34 floors.
4. Louisiana is the only state that doesn't have counties. Instead they are called Parishes.
5. This is the only state with a significant population of Cajuns who were driven out of Canada in the 1700's when they refused to pledge allegiance to the King of England.
6. The 273 foot high Superdome in New Orleans is the largest steel-made room that has no posts holding it up.
7. This is the only state where you can find the Napoleonic Code in the state law.
8. The New Orleans & Carrolliton Line is the oldest street railway line still in operation.
9. The city of Breaux Bridge is nicknaed the "Crawfish Capital of the World."
10. The Louisiana Native Guards were the first army in American to have African American Officers in their ranks.
11. The flag of Baton Rouge is a field of crimson which is meant to represent the Indian nations that once lived in the area.
12. For two years in the 1800's, many significant Civil War battles were waged within the state of Louisiana.
13. The word bayou in French, a common term for this state, means slow-moving river.
14. The official state dog is the Catahoula Hound.
15. The Saint Joseph's Cemetery in Rayne is the only cemetery of its kind that faces north-south.
16. The town called Jean Lafitte was once a place for pirates to find safe haven.
17. The city of Covington is within the Ozone Belt, as such it is known for having clean air and water.
18. Creole houses built in the 1800's were made using cypress wood because the trees were plentiful in the swamps.
19. The Old Town Hall Museum is the only one of its kind. It is dedicated entirely to a municipal government.
20. Church Point is known as The Buggy Capital of the World. They even have a yearly festival to celebrate this name each year on the first weekend in June.
A truly unique place that everyone should visit, these Louisiana State Facts are here to help you better understand what makes this state so unique.