1. The legal age for gambling and drinking in Las Vegas is 21. No exceptions.
2. Prostitution is not legal in Clark County, where Las Vegas is located. It is legal in the neighboring county of Nye, a short drive away.
3. Interesting fact: The Shark Reef at the Mandalay Bay is North America's only predator-based aquarium. It's also Nevada's first and only animal facility accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums.
4. Las Vegas is about 280 miles from the South Rim of Arizona's Grand Canyon.
5. Las Vegas is in the Mojave Desert, North America's smallest desert.
6. Average rainfall in Las Vegas is about 4.5 inches.
7. Fun fact: The Clark County Marriage License Bureau is open seven days a week, from 8:00 a.m. to midnight.
8. In 2009, over 36 million visitors came to Las Vegas.
9. Random fact: According to the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority, Las Vegas has 148,941 hotel rooms available.
10. Gambling became legal in Las Vegas in 1931.
11. The Stratosphere is the tallest observation tower west of the Mississippi River. Original plans called for it to be even taller.
12. Weird fact: Boulder City, just outside of Las Vegas, is one of only two Las Vegas towns that do not allow gambling. (The other town is Panaca.)