a VirtualTourist member from California
We plan to fly into Ushuaia ( from El Calafate ), and then go into Chile ( presumably through Punta Arenas ), see Torres del Paine, and then fly to Santiago.
The general question is how should we do it?
The particular questions are:
1) Is it easy to rent a car in Argentina and drop it off in Chile?
2) What is the best way to get from Ushuaia to Punta Arenas? Car/ferry? Bus/ferry? Fly? ( not interested in cruise ship )
3) Where is a reasonable place to stay while visiting Torres del Paine? Puerto Natales?
4) Where do we catch a flight from southern Chile into Santiago? The best we can find requires going back south to Punta Arenas.
5) Or should we scrap the plan above and take the different route of El Calafate to Torres del Paine, back to El Calafate, then down to Usuaia?
Also, any general advice on the whole plan would appreciated.