a VirtualTourist member
I am Indian but long gone from and back now. From way south, will speak very very broken Hindi but good english - i am also ~30 yr old male. Planning a site seeing (not too touristy) trip to Gujarat, mostly kachchh. Any info appreciated on the following:
1) How trustworthy are autorickshaws in general to "obvious strangers"? need negotiation? worry about being ripped off? safe @ night?
2) Stay: i am not fancy, i look for the cheapest accommadataion possible provided it is 1) clean 2) has bed & toilet 3) safe. don't care about stars
3) Travel: are trains too crowded (my preference: second class sleeper) for reserved compartments? Buses: decent?
4) Guide: i don't speak gujarathi, very very little hindi. do i need a guide? how much do a good but not fancy guide cost?
to give an idea,50-$100 a day guided tours i have checked out so far are out of my options and i have decided against them, too much wasted money.
1. Well there r all sorts of people, some may try to con u, some may be alright. with the autos , the best thing to do is make sure the meter is set to 0000, and when u get off, u can ask for a fare sheet , and pay accordingly. if u have luggage , they might charge a little extra
2. Train reservations is difficult, but the private buses are comfortable as well. If ur doing a overnight trip, these buses also have sleeping berths. u might want to consider those. U just show up and buy the tickets and get onboard
3. if u speak a little hindi u'll get by.
4. as for hotels u'll need to figure out, wot part of town u want to stay in
hope this helps