a VirtualTourist member from Cincinnati
We arrive Santiago on Monday the week before Easter. Having been to Patagonia, the wine country and Valparaiso, we want to explore the atacama. We usually travel on our own so my questions are:
1. Are roads good to drive from atafongasta to san pedro? Do we need to rent a 4 wheel drive for travelling around the atacama?
2. Sites to see on the trip to atacama?
3. recommendations for lodging in San Pedro?
4. recommendations for sites to see or treks ?
5. Are there special Catholic services at San Pedro on Easter morning the we should not miss?
Thanks for any help on any of these issues.
Q1. Are roads good to drive from atafongasta to san pedro? Do we need to rent a 4 wheel drive for travelling around the atacama?
A1: Roads are really ok. I went by bus, so they can't be bad, as you imagine. Around Atacama, I'd suggest beautiful mountainbike rides, but a 4-wheeler might be cool too, as roads around there are not paved.
Q2. Sites to see on the trip to atacama?
A2. I went by bus, the scenery is spectacular: desert on one side, the PAcific at the other..as my bus was almost non-stop, no idea what to see in between
Q3. recommendations for lodging in San Pedro?
A3. Most places are cheap and clean. "Caracoles" street is packed with hotels. Don't worry about that. IF u want something fancy, I heard there is a new eco-hotel (5 star) there.
Q4. recommendations for sites to see or treks ?
A4. If you're strong enough, ride to valle de la luna to see the sunset. unmissable. otherwise, go by car lol there are also other bike rides you can make, just explore. the scenery is amazing around S. PEdro.
I hear the Uyuni Salars are amazing, never been though. oh and: the geyser tour sucks
Q5. Are there special Catholic services at San Pedro on Easter morning the we should not miss?
A5. Don't know.
Email me if u need
1. the road from atafongasta to san pedro is very good.
2. in san pedro you do not need a 4 wheel drive for travelling around.
3. do not book a room in san pedro to the internet. they ask you a deposit
and you get the worst. unfortunately the people are not honest and try
to cheat. i had a very bad experience with the EL TATIO HOTEL AND WITH
THE AGENCY COSMO ANDINO. A DO NOT RECOMEND THEM.