a VirtualTourist member from Dubai
Well, I live in Dubai and have for years wanted to plan a trip to Salalah with my Family. I decided that, that it! we're going this year! :D
So I basically had quite a few questions, and was hoping the good people on this forum maybe able to answer.
1) Ive read that there is a way to avoid Muscat and just go straight to Salalah. Great!...my question...how long will it take?
2) Border pass- what do I need? Passport enough? Any restrictions on expiry dates etc? My passport is expiring in September 2008 (and most of my family's as well)
3) I may have cousins visiting during the same time, who will be on visit visa to the UAE, will they also be allowed to come to Oman as they are not a resident of UAE? If not, is there any other way to bring them along?
4) Can we take a Rental car across the border? If yes, Which rental company do you suggest we rent from? Also, are 4x4 necessary or a SUV is ok?
5) Hotel Accommodation- Do you suggest I book online or call them? Where do you suggest we stay? (p.s. not looking for a 5 star because dont plan on spending to much time in the hotel :D....) Also, any restrictions in bookings (such as xx days booking in advance etc)?
6) Planning to make the trip in August? Weather conditions?
Thanks a bunch in advance to all who answer this Loooong query of mine..
1) If you weant to avoid Muscat, you can drive via Al Ain, Ibri & Nizwa.
2) You need your passports (should be valid for 6 months beyond your intended date of departure !) plus insurance for your car valid for Oman.
3) Whether or not they may travel to Oman depends on their nationality and whether or not they can get a visa at the border.
4) Yes, but again you will need insurance valid in Oman (extra cost). You don't need a 4x4 unless you are planning to visit off-road sites.
5) Booking online is usually cheaper than calling in.
Thanks George! guess cant travel before renewing my passport :(