a VirtualTourist member
A heaps of them :)
1. I want to go independently. Do I have to register somewhere?
2. I prefer to sleep in my own tent. Is it possible or I must sleep in huts?
3. What about food? Should I carry everything I need with me? Or I can get some food in the huts?
4. How much does it cost (from Queenstown to Queenstown, that is, including transportation, National Park permit and maybe smth else?).
I am not native English speaker so excuse please my poor English
Thank in advance,
1. Yes you DO have to register/book, a long time in advance. You can do that here: doc.govt.nz/Explore/002~Trac...
2. No it is forbidden to sleep in your tent, you MUST sleep in the huts provided.
3. You must take ALL your own food, there is nothing available at the huts. You must also remove ALL your trash.
4. check the website i gave for current costs.
There are tips and pages written here on VT about the Milford Track.
NOt sure when you are coming, but this Track is normally booked months in advance, so is likely already booked out for this coming summer. It is not open during winter months. Have fun, email me if you have more questions.
In summer, you need to book the Milford Track in advance, usually 4-6 months before if you want to be assured of a place. You are only allowed to track a certain number of kilometres per day and must rest/sleep in the provided huts when you have completed your day's limits. The track is usually completed in 4 days. Hence you need to be in good physical shape as the 2nd and 3rd day is the hardest part of the track.
In winter, you don't need a booking to go on the Milford Track but it is considered to be more dangerous because of the weather conditions and there are fewer or no park rangers to help you in case you are in trouble. Milford winters can be harsh and cold and thus the winter tracking is only done by experienced trekkers.