I'm wanting to go from The Universty of Lancashire's campus in Preston (PR1) to see a friend at St. Mary's College Blackburn (BB1), on the 31st of this month. I'm wondering what the cheapest/fastest way to do this is. Is there a particular bus line that I could take, and where's the best place I could catch this bus?
Thanks and all the best, Hashim
We are a family of four that are moving to the uk to live for about 4 years,we will be moving to the Lancashire area,is there a site that we can view that can help to answer questions that we have about normal day to day living,eg buying a house?insurance car and house?mot costs?health insurance?utilities?education?
I'm a Canadian planning a trip to retrace my English roots in May/June. The folks in the Yorshire forum have already helped a great deal, but there's one question best dealt with here.
The wife and I are landing at Heathrow on May 29th at about noon. We plan to immediately take trains to get us to Milnrow (near Rochdale). The National Rail web site has a trip planner tool. The schedules haven't been updated yet, so I just picked a Tuesday in February to get an example itinerary. It shows
Depart London Euston at 16:05 arrive Manchester Piccadilly at 18:25
Depart Manchester Piccadilly (by Metro) at 18:25 arrive Manchester Victoria at 19:02
Depart Manchester Victoria at 19:07 arrive Milnrow at 19:42
Which raises several questions...
1) I've never been to Manchester so I don't know the station layouts or anything. How can I arrive on one train platform at 18:25 and also be leaving on a metro at exactly the same time?
2) Assuming I do get to Victoria at 19:02 I only have 5 minutes until the train to Milnrow leaves at 19:19:07. Is this enough time? (Bear in mind that my wife is 60 and I'm 63 and we'd be carrying all our luggage with us and dead tired from a day and a half of travel)
3) Assuming all's Ok after leaving London, how do I get from Heathrow to Euston in the first place? What method and how long it would take?
Thanks in advance for your help.
I arrived in Leyland about a week ago and am working here as a nanny. Im a 22yo Aussie though was living in Zurich for 1.5y before coming here. I would love to meet some people of around my age or hear about places worth going to see, etc.
Could someone please answer some specific questions on Lancaster Univ?
1. How good is the Journalism school in the University? I am planning to do a Post Grad course in Journalism and would like to evaluate various Uni's all over England before commiting myself....
2. What chances, if any, of staying on and working in Lancaster after such a course? Is the Newspaper/Print Media / Television / Radio industry well developed in and around Preston (well, in the immediate area to the University of Central Lancashire?)
3. How high is the University rated on a national scale?
4. How costly is it to live in Lancashire?
Thanks very much for all your time and effort. I really need the information.
I will be going to Lancaster U. with my 74 yo brother to visit his son who is teaching at University during January 2005.. We will be staying in Preston X 1 week. rail? we will be leaving from Newark. Rent a car? Should we fly to London or Mancester? Airlines? most comfortable? I am a frequent traveler. My brother has never flown! We are looking for the easiest itinerary. Vinny
Hey I was curious about the landscape of England. I know I'm goin to the university of Edge Hill ... but incase I travel .. where in England especially is good to see ?? The bus or train can take me too ... but how about driving ??? I went to Italy before and its on alot of mountains .. good places to go! even where hotels to the mall or scenary or restaurants .. are all up or down a mountain... what can you tell me about the area? is the dialect bad or different from American English ? Does it rain as much as Scottland in the winter .. or is that depend on the country or season ?? Hows the weather really cold and wet or does it eventually become beach weather?? or pool? I heard in Scottland last month (august) ran 19 days striaght! i heard someone say that ... i never been also hows the fashion? i hear sneakers are bad to wear ok i guess thats all i got !! can anyone helped ?
: I'm going to England in Janurary til June... besides the bad weather, can anyone tell me what else to expect? whats the cost out there like? I'm coming from a college in New Jersey , USA ... to Edge Hill University.. anyone familiar with that school ?? hope to make a friend ...
Hiya I'm moving to Morecambe soon and as a musician I'm on the lookout for places to gig. Does anyone know of any pubs etc. that might be worth approaching? Thanx
Anyone can ask a
Destination experts (like you!) provide amazing answers.
Readers "like" answers, and the best float to the top.