Does the Smolny Institute in Saint Petersburg still exist? If not, does the building still exist, and if so, where is it located?
Thank you very much for your help.
Does anyone know of a reliable taxi company which will not charge a fortune for a ride to and from the cruise port. I will be in Saint Petersberg at the end of August for 2 days.
I would love to see and photograph the oldest part of the city where buildings and houses are really old and may be not restored but still beautiful. I know the whole city is a marvellous place for that, but I imagine there must be hidden places that locals know but are not too well known by tourists. I will be free four half days in July there so I will have very long light days to go for promenades both walking and navigating. I have already studied the metro system and I will appreciate any recomendations .
hi there....how feasible is this?
we will be staying in st petes for five nights and i think we can do a daytrip from this city to v. novgorod by train ( 3hrs)
we are used to doing these long day trips - starting out at 6 am and getting back to our lodgings by early evening
we are staying on nevsky prospekt in an apartment
im guessing we go to the main station - is that the moskovsky vokzal to catch the train
is it better to go the day before and buy the tickets? if not how much time before the trip do we go ?
how about on the way back? a long way back 4hr trip by bus - is it anymore scenic? justfor a change???
given we have only the day there- what would you see?
both the east and west sides of the river- yaroslavs court and kremlin?
can we do a little bus trip to the marshes to the monastery?
we are not going to spend all of our time in st petes looking at museums and palaces- we d rather get out to the smaller villages
I would like to have a complete street map of Kolpino. Also, is there an online phone book available?
forget to tell you that I will be there in September. (And I drink less than most Russians, by the way, and if you want to go to the Hermitage or seeing something else that would be fun also)
On the 20th, 21st, 22nd and 23rd I will be in St Petersburg and if you are there (maybe because you live there?), would you like to go for a drink?
We are living in Saint-Petersburg and would like to meet new people and make new friends. In fact we need our English to be improved because of the future exams, and we really need to practise it. Thought it's not SO bad at all:)
So, if you are interested in some friendly and easy going natives, who can show you the city, tell more about its entertainments, museums, cafes and so on, - please, write us on [email]
Irena and Roman
P.S. We have a car, so transport is not a problem.
Hello, does anybody know a well-arranged (at least to some extent) and mainly up-to-date online time-table of trains leaving from St. Peterburg's main station to Petrozavodsk? No problem with Cyrillic alphabet.
Or maybe, does any of the locals know when the trains go, how much the ticket is and how long the journey takes to get to Petrozavodsk?
Thank you so much!
i'll be appreciate for any advices where to stay in Piter, any budget variants, hostels. i’ll go there for may holiday. i know, it is a tourist season in these days, but maybe i have the chance to find something nice and modest...
thanks in advance
First of all, Thank you SO much for the answers and advice in my other thread. It was all very helpful...
A little background info...
13 years ago I taught ESL in Magadan for 15 months. I took on a private student who was 13 years old at the time. I became very good friends with them and consider them my Russian family even though I have only seen them once for 2 weeks since then. The daughter, my Russian little sister, has graduated from University there in St Pete and is working as a lawyer at an American firm. It is her wedding we are going to attend. We also will be celebrating her birthday while there...
Now for the questions...
1. If I make up a "romance basket" for a wedding gift, as suggested in the other thread... I don't drink alcohol and know Nothing about it. What kind of Wine/Champagne is good but won't be terribly expensive? Should I buy it in St Pete, or in the duty free shops in the Frankfurt airport?
2. Can't think of a good gift for Bride's father. I remember he likes to drink a little. Would some Kentucky burbon be an ok gift? I am after all from Kentucky. I imagine that not everyone likes burbon, but thought it might be a nice gesture, something from my home state...
3. It will be cold I know, though not as cold as Magadan was. Is a good wool coat with layers underneath warm enough? Or do I need a Parka? As I remember, inside the buildings is warm, it's the walking between the buildings I'm not sure about.
4. For little children, how many layers are enough? Undershirt+turtleneck+sweater+winter coat & snow pants? The 2 y/o will do some walking but will probably be in a stroller quite a bit. Plan on bringing a wool blanket for cover up while in the stroller?
5. For the 4 month old, who will be in a front baby carrier, undershirt+outfit+snowsuit with built in mittens, hat, & booties enough?
Thank you in advance. I just want to pack as little as possible, but want to make sure we are dressed appropriately. When I lived in Nebraska it got as cold as St Pete, but we drove to places and didn't do a lot outside when it was cold...
I will be travelling to St Petersburg the begining of Feb with my 2 daughters who are 2 years old and 4 months old. We are there to attend the wedding of a couple in their mid 20's. I need a little advice from those of you who live in this fine city/country please...
1. What is a good present to bring them? The bride will only say that our coming is gift enough...
2. What to wear to a Russian wedding? Church clothes sufficient?
3. Are there Pampers disposable diapers in the stores I can buy and avoid packing 2 weeks worth of diapers?
4. Nestle Baby formula available in the stores? What is the name?
5. Husband doesn't want to bring a stroller, What do the locals use for their toddlers? Strollers? Sleds? How expensive are they?
6. Anyone know of budget apartment rental near a metro station? We need accommadation for 15 nights and it is looking like it will be quite expensive... We can only afford45-55 a night. Any reccomendations on companies to check with.
Thanks for your time...
Lianne, going crazy packing in Kentucky USA
I am disappointed that I have not had any response to my last post concerning wanting to meet up with some SPB local people when we visit in June. One thing nice about Internet and these travel forums is that we get to not only share information but meet people too. I still have hope that there are some SPB residents who have interest in meeting foreighners and sharing their love of SPB. I would do the same for anyone visiting me> Please, don't be shy and contact me.
Hello We will be coming to St Petersburg in November with our children .We will staying for over a month with a friend .We have been told we need to go to Helsinki to obtain a second visa( you must leave Russia to do this ) .Can someone here tell us the best way for us to travel to helsinki ( with our children), and how long it will take for us to get another visa from the Russian embassy in Helsinki ( an invitation will be arraged ) ? We are wanting to know how long we will need to be in Helsinki. We do not need visas to travel to Finland .Thanks you .
Hi, I'm thinking about bringing my girlfriend to St Petersburg for a few days as she loves all the Russian stuff. But before I start I must find the cheapest flight there. We are in Ireland but with flights so cheap to London, Amsterdam, Paris, Brussels etc etc, we'll be able to fly from any of these cities (or other similar ones) if they work out cheaper. It is very hard to find what the cheapest airline is. The cheapest return flight so far is €430 from Ireland to St Petersburg. Does anybody know where we'd get a cheaper one and from what city does it go? Thanks in advance.
Can anyone recommend hotels (reasonably priced, not too luxurious) or bed&breakfast type accommodation? Are these nice areas for tourists or ???
I will be in spb for the whole of August. I would like to see Zenit play Spartak on around the 21st. How or who can I obtain tickets for this match or will it be pay at the gate. Thanks.
I am looking for a guide in spb. Her name is Luddie. She knows who she is. Can you please contact me Lud.
I am just back from Saint Petersburg. What a wonderful place. Everything about the place was fantastic. Arcitecture, the people, history. I must go back in the summer. I must say a big thanks to my tour guide who I was fortunate enough to find. She made evrything come alive and almost made me feel as if I had met Rasputin. Thank you Saint Petersburg!
I will be arriving at the St. Petersburg in late June. What is the best way to obtain rubles? Can I buy them before leaving the USA? Can they be purchased in the airport?
I am in need of a cheap sleep place in Peter Saturday night. Any suggestions? Thanks!!
Anyone can ask a
Destination experts (like you!) provide amazing answers.
Readers "like" answers, and the best float to the top.