a VirtualTourist member from Sambalpur
We two family with 7 members are going to Gangtok. On 9th from Sealdah.
Our programme follows. Will it be suitable for us to move as per the following program along with child ageing & year old, someone please suggest. Or our programme need some change ?
Day 1: NJP-GANGTOK
Pickup from NJP Railway station, drive to Gangtok, Checkinto hotel, over night at Gangtok.
Day 2: Gangtok-Tsomgo Lake,Baba Mandir
Tsomgo Lake and Baba Mandir Excursion,over night at Gangtok.
Day 3: Gangtok-Lachung
Transfer to Lachung, over night at Lachung.
Day 4: Lachung-Yumthang-Gangtok
Visit yumthang valley,Zero point(optional),lunch at Lachung,return to Gangtok,overnight at Gangtok.
Day 5: Gangtok local
Local sight seeing at Gangtok,over night at Gangtok.
Day 6: Gangtok-Peilling.
Day 7:Peilling-NJP Deparure
Also Please let us know any unrest on the plain Siliguri.
1. Your dates are not mentioned. Also, the ages of the children are not clear.
2. Your itinerary appears to be fine. Only remember to acclimatise yourselves as well as the children as you will be reaching heights well over 10,000 feet.
3. Gangtok proper has many lovely sights. It appears you are spending very less time there.
4. Once the monsoons begin, landslides may be a problem. Rains may have started by now. Do check out the weather forecast.
5. No unrest in the plains of Siliguri as of now.
Thanks a lot Sir for your early reply. We will be reaching Gangtok on 10th of May it self. In fact I know about VT today only. A bit early would have been great for my planning.
Kindly suggest any changes of itenary if required.
In fact I forget to mention again that our Childrens are 11,9, and 7 years old. I may self have a problem of Hypertension and rhinities allergy. Will it create any problem.
Thanking you in advance for your valuable opinions and suggestions.
1. VirtualTourist is a fantastic travel site with personal accounts of intrepid travellers. Very rewarding!
2. Do build up your Profile Page. It's interesting to know who's post you are replying to or who is asking.
3. Since all of you will be travelling by road from NJP to Gangtok, spending a night there and then going up to higher reaches, you'll should have no problems. However, do have a talk with your doctor.
4. While in Gangtok, talk to the owner of Mist Tree Hotel (Ms. Anu Wong, my niece). She may be able to guide you. The hotel is situated bang on the crossroads, near the main traffic point.
5. Enjoy your stay in Gangtok and have some 'jhar' and 'rakshe' (local brew)!!
1. Leisurely stroll along main market. It's totally pedestrianised.
2. Enchey Monastry. Revered monastry.
3. Directorate of Handloom & Handicraft for lovely carpets but expensive.
4. Gangtok Ropeway.
5. Tashi Viewpoint (6,100 ft.).
6. Hanuman Tok (7,000 ft.).
7. Ganesh Tok (6,100 ft.).
8. Bakthang Waterfalls.
9. Rumtek Monastry (24 kms. before reaching Gangtok).
10. Tsomgo Lake - (38 kms. Go very early to avoid rush of tourist). Avail a yak ride/safari.
11. Nathula Pass - (14,450 ft. 56 kms. Need Tourism Deptt. permission. Only Indian National allowed and that too, only from Wednesdays to Sundays).
12. Plenty of Adventure Tourism available.
13. Village Tourism available.
14. Check out www.sikkimtourism.travel.
15. Buys: Tibetan-made woollies & jackets; organic tea leaves; bright school bags made of woven cloth; shawls & stoles; Tibetan & Nepali music; Dansberg beer belonging to Bollywood actor Danny Denzongpa; 'churp' - hard & soft variety, made from yak's milk - real yummy ;-)
16. Beware of shops selling *ancient* Buddha figures and other assorted Tibetan religious artifacts.
17. If interested in photographing Mt. Khang-chen-Dzonga & Mt. Siniolchu, get up very early, pray for a clear day and head for Tashi Viewpoint. The peaks turn red and then golden as the first rays of the sun illuminates them. Much better than the sunrise from Tiger Hill, Darjeeling. If you look closely at Mt. Khang-chen-Dzonga, you may make out the sleeping posture of Lord Buddha with fingers clasped over the waist. The rounded mount is the head and the sharp portuberance is the feet.
Thanks for your timely response. I have updated my profile as per your suggestion. I would certainly meet your niece on my trip. In case of any update please do post. As I am first timer to Hill station I would be greatfull if you provide me What should I carry on my tour.