I am 45 and taking my teen daughter to Peru this summer (2007). What a shock it will be for her, she is used to going on cruise ships! We will be doing the Explorama Lodge for 6 nights and then I want to surprise her with a trip to Macchu Picchu with a couple days in Lima.
I am trying to finalize plans and I have so many questions.
1) Is it better to purchase our round-trip airfare from LIMA to IQT online, at the LAN airways site, or should I wait until I get into Peru because it will be considerably less expensive? Will there be seats on the airplane available or is it like in the US where everything is always overcrowded and sold out, reservations are a must?
2) Is it true that we should wear light colored clothing to keep the mosquitos away? Daughter has a terrible time with mosquitos, she attracts them like a dead horse attracts flies.
3) I have leftover Malarone from my trip to Africa but I think I should get doxycyline for daughter, I have read that is helps with other things (such as becoming ill from bacterial infection, etc.) and she'll take probiotics afterwards to help her system recover. Is this the best thing for malaria?
4) Where can I find more information about the boat service from Iquitos (really from Tatapalanga or something like that) to Manaus? How do I make reservations? I understand it is a slow journey but do we have a cabin onboard...yeah yeah, I know it won't be a cruise ship! No a/c, etc.
5) Does anyoen have a local web site or e-mail address so I can contact someone for more information? There is very little information available.
Anyone can ask a
Destination experts (like you!) provide amazing answers.
Readers "like" answers, and the best float to the top.