a VirtualTourist member
We will be in Bern for around 3 days.
Any recommendations on good day trips from Bern to nearby cities / places of interest.
We would like to visit Top of Europe and Lucrene.
- Lucerne is one hour by train from bern. It's a great day- or even halfday trip from bern.
- Top of Europe is a great one day trip from Bern too. If you have time enough, make a stopover in Interlaken or/and Thun. Thun is a very beautiful small city at the shore of the lake thun
- as alternative to the Top of Europe, the Schilthorn is a great Destination too. The view from this mountain over the swiss alps is very impressive. To go up there you've got to take the cablecar in Stechelberg that goes up to Schilthorn via the beautiful carfree village Mürren
- Biel, a nice city at the shore of Bielersee is situated at the language border german/french. About 30 minutes from Bern
- Even rather worth it is Neuchatel, a french speaking city at the shores of lac de neuchatel. About 40min from Bern
We also had just three days in Bern. I will give a second vote for Luzerne. It was an easy train ride. We also got a one day rail pass for about 22 Swiss Francs. We spent one day going all around the outer rail lines of the country. The ride up on the Glacier Express is spectacular and highly recommended. I wished we had stayed in Luzerne. It was fascinating and beautiful and easy to walk around and explore.
Have fun. We were there three days ago and are now in Rome. That's another Forum ; )