• Dylan Wallis
  • "What are good cities to live in if I wanted to live near mountains?"

Dylan Wallis

Fort Worth, Texas

What are good cities to live in if I wanted to live near mountains?

Born and raised in Texas, but I want to move north (or maybe even abroad) after I graduate college. I love the mountains and really like Colorado. I've been to Denver, Fort Collins, and Colorado Springs and like Denver the most. I really enjoyed visiting Seattle a couple years ago as well. 

What are great cities I could establish myself and a family in that has a commute to the mountains nearby? I will be pursuing careers in animal biology, ecology, or environmental conservation, so job opportunity, economical factors, social life, cost of living are all important factors I will use also. 

• Denver (city)

Denver Colorado

• Fort Collins (city)

Fort Collins CO

• Seattle (city)

Seattle Washington

• Ernst Mutchnick

Anchorage could be an option. I was surprised when I learned it's now the 63rd largest city in the US with just over 300,000 people. On clear days you can see 5 mountain ranges including the Alaska Range which has North America's highest mountain; Mt McKinley. It's in the top 100 fastest growing cities in the country. Nightlife is very good with lots of bars, clubs, and restaurants.

Things to consider: very long summer days and very short winter days, and the cost of living is higher. If you were to commute from Wasilla or Palmer your cost of living would be less.

Every Alaskan citizen (including children) gets an annual dividend payout. This was $1884 in 2014. That's higher than average. You can find out more here: http://www.apfc.org/home/Content/dividend/dividendamounts.cfm You would be eligible for that after living one year in Alaska.

Anchorageimage from adn.com

Anchorageimage from alaska.org

Anchorageimage from alaskanhome.com

Anchorageimage from mishlerphotos.photoshelter.com

I have to admit that Alaska hasn't been at the top of my bucket list, but this makes me really want to visit Anchorage :) · (1 likelikes)

1. Anchorage (city)
    2. Mt McKinley (attraction)
    3. Wasilla (city)
    4. Palmer (city)

• ·
    • ·

Send Ernst a Thank You Note