• Trevor Morrow
  • "Yosemite: suggestions on places to stay and things to do in Yosemite National Park? "

Trevor Morrow

Yosemite: suggestions on places to stay and things to do in Yosemite National Park?

I'm just starting to plan a trip to Yosemite with friends and I'm looking for suggestions on where to stay. As of now I'm open to hotels, cabins, home rentals, and camping grounds (as long as it's memorable). I'm also looking for suggestions on things to do. Any tour providers, trails, or general tips from people who have been before would be great!

• Maroun Najjar

A couple of questions:

1. How long will you be staying?

2. What's the hiking experience of you and your friends?

There are two different types of trips I'd suggest:

1. The Full Immersion Backpacking Trip

Time: 3-4 Days.

This is the best way to experience Yosemite . The park while utterly enormous is swamped with tourists. If you really want to experience the beauty that the park has to offer then there's nothing like 3 days in the backcountry with great people.

I would recommend the Hetch Hetchy Loop. It's 27miles total and usually takes 3 days. You'll start off at the Hetch Hetchy Reservoir and hike alongside the reservoir for the first day camping right by the Rancheria falls at night. The second day you'll hike through the beautiful Tilltill Valley ascend one of the Mountains surrounding it and after hours of a grueling incline you'll finally get views on the breath-taking Vernon lake. A quick hike down to the lake and you'll find campsites that are just several feet away from the river.

The Vernon Lake campsite is easily one of the most beautiful places I've been to. There were no other people in sight, just the beautiful Yosemite scenery, a raging river and one of the most incredible night skies you'll ever see. When we woke up for breakfast a family of deer walked right up to us and joined us for breakfast in the bushes around our campsite, it was magical. On our hike out of the valley we saw a mother bear and two of her cubs across the valley.

Once you finish the hike I'd recommend you hop in the car, drive down the Tuolumne Grove of Giant Sequoias take the short hike down to forest for some sights on breath-taking Sequoia's. Hop back in the car and drive down to Yosemite Valley for views of the famous Half Dome , El Capitan and Yosemite Falls .

This trip is definitely exhausting and strenous but at the same time it was one of the most incredible trips I've ever taken. Here are some of the pictures I took if you're interested.

2. The Two Day Camping Trip

If you're not as flexible on time here is a weekend trip you can do.

Time: Friday Night to Sunday Night

Here is how I structured my weekend:

Book two nights at the Tuolumne Meadows Campground in Yosemite.

Friday Night: Drive up and set up camp at night.

Saturday: This is the "hiking" day. After breakfast head over to the Wilderness Office 10 minutes away from the campground and ask them for hiking recommendations. I highly recommend you do the Hike to Dog Lake, it's absolutely beautiful over there. Also on the hike back from Dog Lake there is a fork you can take that will bring you to the top of one of the domes in the Tuolumne Meadows valley. This was one of the best views we got all weekend.

Sunday: This is the the "Must-See" day where you go around the park seeing all of the famous sights that Yosemite has to offer. Pack up camp in the morning and drive down to the Yosemite Valley. Once you're done with the valley hop back in the car and head over to Glacier Point where you'll see my favorite view of Half-dome and the tallest mountains in the whole park. After Glacier Point drive down to Mariposa Grove of Giant Sequoias to witness the world's larget Sequoia Grove containing some of the oldest trees in the world.

If you have any follow-up questions feel free to ask!

Further Reading:

1. Hetch Hetchy Loop Overview

2. Yosemite Campground Reservation and info

• Trevor M.

Trevor M.

Hi Maroun, thank you for your answer. Awesome info! We'd stay for 2 or 3 nights so the itineraries you provided are great. We all have a good bit of hiking experience so I really like the idea of getting into the backcountry. What time of year did you go? Would you recommend going at that time? I hear July/August is a bad time to go because it's really hot and crowded. · (3 likelikes)

• Maroun N.

Maroun N.

Glad you liked it! So we went back in April and there was still some snow on some of the peaks. I honestly think it's a trail you can do almost any time in the year. One thing I didn't mention: Make sure you bring a water filter, the sun is grueling and you want to make sure you stay hydrated. July/August isn't the optimal time tourist-wise but to be honest since this trail is pretty far in the backcountry I doubt you'll run into many people. We only saw 3 other people throughout the whole trip. · (3 likelikes)

1. Yosemite (attraction)
    2. Hetch Hetchy Loop (attraction)
    3. Tuolumne Grove of Giant Sequoias (attraction)
    4. Yosemite Valley (attraction)
    5. Half Dome (attraction)
    6. El Capitan (unknown)
    7. Yosemite Falls (attraction)
    8. Tuolumne Meadows (attraction)
    9. Glacier Point (attraction)
    10. Mariposa Grove of Giant Sequoias (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Maroun a Thank You Note