• Ernest Li
  • "Last-minute trip to Yosemite this weekend"

Ernest Li

Los Angeles, California

Last-minute trip to Yosemite this weekend

A good friend just acquired some really-hard-to-get permits for Yosemite and we're trying to put together a last minute itinerary. 

Here's what we have so far:

Fri
Spending the night at the Quality Inn at Mammoth Lakes. Any good breakfast recommendations?

Sat
Picking up permits from the Toulome Meadows Permit Office, then hit the trail. We'll start near Lembert Dome, and end up at Young Lakes where we'll camp for the night. 

Sun
Young Lakes to Glen Aulin. The longest leg of our trip.  

Mon
Hiking out from Glen Aulin to Toulome and back to our car.

Anyone done these hikes before? Does the mileage seem reasonable? How are the campground conditions? Are mosquitoes a big problem this time of the year? Would I be insane to attempt swimming in any of the lakes?

Any other thoughts or advice on our itinerary would be great. Thanks!

I'm envious! I applied for the lottery months ago and haven't heard back :P Have fun! · (0 likelikes)

• Nalin M.

Nalin M.

Nice. Where can I get information about the permits? · (0 likelikes)

• JR Johnson

Nice!! You're going into Yosemite the back way. Which although it doesn't have the "wow" factor when drive into the valley (from the front route) it's so much more peaceful and beautiful. You will drive up through the Owens Valley, which has a dry deserty feel and then when you come over the Tioga Pass, you'll be in the high elevation medows of Yosemite. It's amazingly beautiful to crest the peak and fine yourself in the lush meadows. I'm jealous!!

I haven't hiked it, but here are some things to see along your drive up or back.

Mahogany Smoked Meats, CA is known for the jerky. Beef, turkey, bison, etc. I prefer the pepered bison jerky but the teriyaky is good too. Pick up some of this for your hike. It's not cheap... but it's the best.

Whoa Nellie Deli This place has some of the best food in the entire Ownes River Valley, and it's in a gas station! You can sit outside at their picnic tables and over the Mono Lake. It's a very cool, unique experience you won't find anywhere else. When you get into Lee Vining you'll turn left to go through the Tioga Pass to get over the moutains. On your left is a Chevron station that is home to the Whoa Nellie Deli. It's a must stop!

Mono Lake is most noteable for its tufa, the tower like deposits of limestone coming out of the water, and for the being the "saved" from extinction because it was being drained to help water Los Angeles. It's beautiful but i wouldn't do anything more than just have a look from the road. The visitor center is nice, but you don't want to spend too much time down there.

Other noteworthy things off of 395:

Stop in Lone Pine and look up to your left. That's Mt Whitney you're looking at.

If you want to hop off of 395 and take a very scenic loop, you can take the June Lake Loop. It will add about 30 mins to your drive, but it's breathtaking. You'll see June Lake, Silver Lake and Grant Lake . It's very worth it, if you have an extra 30 mins.

Tiger Bar & Cafe is the 2nd oldest bar in the country (because they didn't shut it down during prohibition) and it's in the little town of June Lake, California

• Ernest L.

Ernest L.

I didn't realize there was so much to see and do on the drive up, thanks! And dried meats - mmmm…you're speaking my language :) · (2 likelikes)

1. Mahogany Smoked Meats (restaurant)
    2. Whoa Nellie Deli (attraction)
    3. Lee Vining (city)
    4. Mono Lake (attraction)
    5. Lone Pine (city)
    6. Mt Whitney (unknown)
    7. Silver Lake (attraction)
    8. Grant Lake (attraction)
    9. Tiger Bar & Cafe (restaurant)
    10. June Lake (city)

• ·
    • ·

Send JR a Thank You Note