• Sylvia Ikey
  • "Where should I go for a solo 14 day pre-grad school trip?"

Sylvia Ikey

Texas

Where should I go for a solo 14 day pre-grad school trip?

Hi All!

I am a 27 y/o female. I recently got accepted to an MBA program, and I would love to do a bit of traveling before I sell my soul - I mean, start school in August. I have already been to London, Dubai/Abu Dhabi, and Nigeria, so those aren't options for my next trip.

My target travel dates are July 18-July 31 and my budget is flexible, although I would prefer not spend more than $3000. My must haves in a destination are: Amazing food, lots of cultural attractions, proximity to public transportation, and ease of connecting to other countries. I love to walk, and I enjoy  hiking. I can't swim, but I love to be near water.

I am traveling solo this time around, and I'm semi terrified to go by myself, so a location that is solo friendly is also a priority.

I have been dreaming of visiting Paris since I was little, and I was thinking of doing a Paris-Brussels-Rome trip, especially with the Euro conversion rate being so favorable right now. Or I was thinking maybe I should go to SE Asia and do Thailand.

My main concern is that the dates I have selected are in the peak of summer, and I don't want to go somewhere where I will be dying of heat stroke. I speak a bit of French, but I don't know any Spanish. Perhaps traveling somewhere in South America is also an option, since it will be their Winter? Or maybe Canada? I hear Toronto and Montreal are nice, but I think that I probably don't need 14 days to see both cities.

All suggestions are welcomed!

• Apurva Chandra

You'd have a great time going to Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania. It might be a different kind of trip than what you are thinking of as a pre-MBA trip, but it really is a great place to ponder the next chapter in your life. Before I got my MBA I went to Machu Picchu and thought it was great - but after I was done with it I went to Kilimanjaro and it was a life-changing experience. Since it's on the equator it really doesn't make much of a difference when you go - just as long as you go :) If you go there you can reward yourself with a relaxing trip to Zanzibar afterwards. Check out www.venturefar.com for more info or reach out to me directly if you have any questions.

1. Mount Kilimanjaro (attraction)
    2. Tanzania (country)
    3. Machu Picchu (attraction)
    4. Zanzibar (city)

• ·
    • ·

Send Apurva a Thank You Note