• Jake Vanags
  • "What's your experience with Couchsurfing?"

Jake Vanags

Los Angeles, California

What's your experience with Couchsurfing?

What's your general feeling toward couchsurfing? Positive experiences? Negative experiences?

• Brian Yost

My two experiences sleeping at someone's place have been fantastic. My very first in Berlin I showed up and my two hosts had cooked me breakfast and we all ate together. That night, they took me out with their friends, it was so thoughtful.

For requesting, expect a lot of no responses but people get tons of emails in major cities. They need to be comfortable hosting you which is tough for a first time user with no references. I got around this by sending a video of myself (youtube link) with my request (dates, etc. and a little about me, usually just a minute long) which shows I'm normal and completely stands out among all the requests. The earlier the request the better, try for at least a month before. Have a backup hostel/accommodation ready in case you feel uncomfortable or things aren't as expected. Finally, do something nice for them like cook them a meal, buy them booze, clean their house, whatever since you're just freeloading and the person hosting is taking more of the risk. Good luck!

1. Berlin (city)

• ·
    • ·

Send Brian a Thank You Note