• Nathaniel Boyle
  • "What's your biggest travel mishap?"

Nathaniel Boyle

Boston, Massachusetts

What's your biggest travel mishap?

I run a podcast called The Daily Travel Podcast​. Every weekday I put out a conversation with a traveler to explore how and why they've made travel a bigger priority in their lives. As a part of the lightning round at the end of my interviews, I ask a handful questions. This question is a new addition that's getting great answers, so I thought I'd put it out on Trippy!

So, what's your biggest travel mishap?

Mine was crashing a moped in the middle of nowhere in Bali. You can listen to it here: https://soundcloud.com/dailytravelpodcast/32-overcoming-challenges-for-a-life-of-travel-with-elisa-doucette-part-1#t=9:27

• Ross Sparks

I was dating a girl in college and she had never been out of the country before, so I invited her on my already planned trip to Costa Rica. we couldn't make the dates work so I just extended my trip a week and when I went to the airport to drop off my friends I would pick her up and do our extended week together. She was very nervous about traveling by her self for the first time so I gave her $600 cash to travel with (that was all the money I had for the week together). So the first part of the trip was great and as it ended I was looking forward to having girlfriend time on the next week by ourselves! I took the bus from dominical to S.J. And spend my last cash getting to the airport. so I am waiting at her gate as people are getting off her flight and she isn't there! I panic a little and ask around and she wasn't on the flight! I start to scramble and the airport people are asking me were I'm going and with no choice I do the classic "my flights in the morning just gunna sleep here till then" and to my horror the told me that the airport was about to close and it wasn't a 24 hour airport! So I should just hit the ATM and grab a cheap room right?! At this time of my life I had no bank account no Email address much less an ATM card, so I am stranded in S.J. At night with no money and no were to go! So I start looking for bushes to sleep in around the airport when I here in English "are you ok" I turn around and there are 5 gringos standing there watching me build my bush fort! They were missionaries from the USA! They took me in, fed me and got me in touch with my family! These people saved my life, I don't know how many of you have spent much time in large cities in Central America but it can be very scary at night by yourself, the cops seem to shut down like the airports at night lol! So I got an early flight home, and had a great story to tell! But that's not the end! What about the girl? She honestly was told not to go by her family. They said that it sounds to good to be true, "a guy bought you a plane ticket and $600 to meet him in Central America, your gunna be murdered!" funny thing is that we are now married and have traveled the world together! Funny world!

• Nathaniel B.

Nathaniel B.

Amazing and hilarious! Thanks for that. The best stories seem to come from the people we meet and the ways in which we help each other find our way. · (0 likelikes)

• Mary K.

Mary K.

Awesome story! · (0 likelikes)

• ·
    • ·

Send Ross a Thank You Note