• Amy Marie
  • "What's a story from your travels that helped restore your faith in humanity"

Amy Marie

Florida

What's a story from your travels that helped restore your faith in humanity

I love hearing travel stories! Tell me a story about someone you met on the road, or an event you witnessed, that helped restore your faith in humanity. 

• France (country)

• Japan (country)

• Nathaniel Boyle

I was riding a motorbike alone through Amed a small fishing village on the east coast of Bali. It was night and a few kids had lit a fire by the side of the road. I glanced at it but when I looked back to the road, there was a brick wall just about fifty feet ahead. I clutched the back wheel brake, but it wasn’t slowing down fast enough to make the turn so I had to grab the front wheel brake. The bike flipped forward, sending me flying over the handlebars. I remember the awful sound the bike made, thrashing behind me. I was wearing a helmet with a face mask, thankfully, because I remember my face slapping the pavement. I wasn’t sure how badly I was hurt. I must have been in shock because I didn’t feel any pain but my arms and knees were torn up. Within seconds, I was surrounded by dozens of young Balinese people. All of them were offering to help me as I tried standing. When I did, I saw a young English boy through the crowd of locals offering to help who led me around the same wall I’d just avoided to a resort run by his mother. While I cleaned and bandaged my torn up knees, elbows and hands, he sat there asking me questions, telling me jokes and showing me tricks he could do with a yo-yo. He was clearly well-traveled, and exposed to knew people enough that he had no hesitations chatting me up. But what was amazing was the way he was distracting me from the shock and made me smile in a scary moment. I’ll never forget that kid.

1. Amed (city)
    2. Bali (island)

• ·
    • ·

Send Nathaniel a Thank You Note