• Pawan Choudhary
  • "What was the highlight of your last tour?"

Pawan Choudhary

Delhi, India

What was the highlight of your last tour?

We all been travelling to different destinations across the globe. And there is always one thing that leave an impression on us, for a long time. Most of us refer it as the highlight of the tour. So what was the highlight of your last tour?

• Sean Kelly

I almost always find something to love wherever I travel to. Be it the landscape, the food or the architecture, every place I've been has left some indelible mark on my soul. Still, I have to say the true highlights involve interacting with the people I meet along the way. With your indulgence, I'd like to tell you of several that I often think about.

I was at a restaurant in Lisbon, Portugal years ago. While dining at the counter alone, a scruffy looking fellow entered and walked up to where I was sitting. He turned around, and started to slowly sink toward the floor. I immediately realized to was going after the purse on the floor, belonging of the woman next to me, who's back was turned. I crowded him out with my shoulder making him loose his balance, but not his resolve. He steadied himself to try again, but this time the staff saw him an drove him out. At this point the purse's owner was now facing me due to the commotion. Realizing she was British I said, "Madam, mind your purse." One of the people from behind the counter said something to her I couldn't hear. However, he must have told them what happened because both she and her husband looked at me wide eyed. She reached down to retrieve the purse and thanked me profusely. Offering to share their wine with me, she was dumbfounded to discover I was an American. She told she thought, "My, this Portuguese man speaks English very well." We drank wine and talked, and by the time we left she had a newfound admiration for Americans.

While I using a room finding service in the Cinque Terre, I asked the young lady assisting me where she liked go in the evening. Being a American ex-patriot I thought she's know a place I might like. However, she suspected that I might be trying to hit on her, so she answered, "At my boyfriend's bar." When I responded with, Your boyfriend owns a bar? Cool!", she relaxed a little. That night I went to the bar in question. Sure enough, she was there. Seeing me enter, she quickly introduced me to her boyfriend Evo. He and I hit it off immediately. Evo made the rounds in his bar, as a good publican should, but always came back and spent time in conversation with me. The next morning I headed out to do some exploring. As I walked down the street I heard someone call out my name. There was Evo sweeping the sidewalk in front of his bar. He had a huge Smile on his face and was waving enthusiastically. I smile and waved back. With all the people he must meet, on a regular basis, he remembered my name and took the time to say hello.

I spent an evening in a pub in the Cotswold town of Moreton-in-Marsh. Having passed through there just a few weeks earlier, many of the regulars remembered me, and invited me to spend the evening with them. Shortly after last call I said my goodbyes, as I had to rise early to catch my flight out. As I readied to leave one fellow put his hand on my shoulder and said, "Don't forget us, friend."

I hope you have these type of moments in travel too, Pawan.

• ·
    • ·

Send Sean a Thank You Note