• JR Johnson
  • "What is your fondest travel memory?"

JR Johnson

Manhattan Beach, California

What is your fondest travel memory?

When you think of your "travels" around the world, what is the most memorable? What do you find yourself thinking about the most and hoping to replicate with future trips?

• JR Johnson

My #1 memory is from Darjeeling India. Just getting there is a moving experience, but meeting the people and sampling local food/drink is what I think about most often.

First, just getting there: We spent some time in Kolkata before heading up to Darjeeling. To put that in perspective, Kolkata is one of the most densely populated places in the world. The roads are 12 lanes going in all directions, the smell of exhaust and burning trash is constant, and the poverty is overwhelming. Mother Teresa won a Nobel Peace prize for her work there, but if you've been there, you understand that they need a thousand more Mother Teresas to help make a dent. When we left Kolkata, it felt almost religious as we looked upward to the Himalayan foot hills leaving the congestion and density of Kolkata behind.

Arriving in Darjeeling, we had some nan and a variety of dipping sauces. Best meal of my life at the time and those tastes are still on the tip of my tongue. We got oriented in the city and found a little inn to stay. The people were so friendly and accommodating. It may have been because we were American and that was an infrequent sighting in Darjeeling (and this was early 1991 so Americans were still welcome in most places) but I think the people are Darjeeling at just that way.

So if I had to distill my best travel memory down to a singular event it would be this: In the morning the inn keeper gently knocked on our door. He brought us tea to start our day. Now, this was the first time I'd ever had tea, so it was a very exotic experience for me (shocking that i'd never had tea before, right?). Drinking local tea and seeing the sunrise over the hills of Darjeeling could create a hundred great memories on it's own. But the most memorable part was the inn keeper and the way he served it. Today, any time a smell Darjeeling tea I am taken back to that first moment when I opened the door to our little room and saw that inn keeper standing there humbly but proud. He passed me the small serving tray with a simple, elegant cup and saucer. His eyes told me everything. So many things that an American kid from the suburbs would normally never see or learn. His eyes were the reason I made that journey. They were the answers to the questions that I was unable to articulate in my own mind. Today, his eyes are what I look for when I travel.

1. Darjeeling (city)
    2. Kolkata (city)

• ·
    • ·

Send JR a Thank You Note