• Shinobu Sato
  • "What is your first action when plan a overseas trip?"

Shinobu Sato

Chiba, Japan

What is your first action when plan a overseas trip?

Thanks to OTAs, now we can do almost everything on the internet such as flight and hotel bookings.

What do you do when planning your overseas trip? just go to booking.com or expedia?  visit your local travel agency?

Me? I feel sometimes that jumping around multiple websites is annoying!

Cheers,

• Andrew Chou

On average, I plan around 6 overseas trips a year - often only a few weeks ahead of the trip.

My focus is typically not to travel as cheaply as possible, but to maximise value for money. So I would first ask the question - what is the greatest variability with respect to my total cost?

The answer - it's usually your airfare - as it can fluctuate significantly (a few hundred dollars even if you're flying economy) with a slight variation in your destination / date combinations.

So as a first step, I use either skyscanner.com or kayak.com to find the destination / date combination the makes my trip as cost effective as possible.

I would then run a couple of searches on those dates / destinations using either expedia or booking.com to make sure I don't end up in a city where there's a huge conference on and hotels are 3 times the usual price.

Having done the above, I would now be confident that I have the most cost effective destination / date combination (give or take), I would proceed to put together a high level itinerary with these dates (I use pebblar.com, a simple itinerary creation tool).

At this point, I would also do a quick check on the visa and vaccination requirements to make sure I have enough time.

I would then lock in my flights and accomodations.

As a next step, I would use a combination of tripadvisor / guide books / travel blogs to start "filling in the blanks" and work out what to I want to do there and whether there are any bookings (e.g. popular restaurants, opera tickets, special visits / viewings etc) that I need to take care of ahead of time.

Then I get ready for my next adventure!

• Shinobu S.

Shinobu S.

Thanks for answering, Andrew! Now I'm curious about no one can explain rapid growth of OTA business why their business is STILL growing??? · (0 likelikes)

• Andrew C.

Andrew C.

Well I think OTAs do come into play when you get into more niche markets (e.g. high end luxury, safaris etc) where there is some complexity involved. Also they can sometimes bundle packages at a competitive pricing due to commissions and incentives. · (1 likelikes)

• Adina M.

Adina M.

Hi Andrew, Great input related to the flow of your trip planning. Really helpful. I have a question for you: do you find all this research (tripadvisor+ bloggers etc.) overwhelming or do you enjoy it? I am asking you this because I am working on an international platform with local escapes ( an activity+ stay). Would you use this kind of platform to save time and to get access to those hidden gems or do you simply want to do the research all by yourself? Thanks, Adina · (1 likelikes)

• Andrew C.

Andrew C.

Hi Adina, great question! Personally, despite it being overwhelming and a lot of effort, I do find the process of researching and planning necessary. The fact is, I may only ever go to that destination once and therefore I want to make sure I experience the best each destination has to offer. So researching and triangulating using multiple sources for me is a must. However, there is a wide spectrum of travellers - ranging from those like me to those that would simply go to the travel agent and ask them to plan out the whole thing and make all the bookings. I would say the potential customer for your platform would be closer to those in the latter category. · (2 likelikes)

• Adina M.

Adina M.

Thanks for sharing your point of view. Really helpful. Indeed, it really depends. But why not save time and effort when you can find in one single place an escape crafted by a local(activities and accommodation). Please let me know your thoughts on our platform (spoty.com) and any constructive criticism is encouraged. I would appreciate it since it would come from an experienced traveller. :D Or you can reach me on twitter @adina13m · (2 likelikes)

• Andrew C.

Andrew C.

Sure, I'll check it out and hit you up on twitter! · (1 likelikes)

• ·
    • ·

Send Andrew a Thank You Note