• Kim Dayman
  • "What is your definition of nomad?"

Kim Dayman

Canada

What is your definition of nomad?

You hear travellers calling themselves nomads quite often these days. The definition of a nomad is a person or community who is constantly moving to support their lifestyle. Traditionally this was for survival but now is mostly a personal choice. People are pushing the word's definition these days so I'm curious - what is a nomad to you and/or do you consider yourself a nomad?

I am working to transition myself from a permanent full-time job to freelance opportunities that will free me up to travel and work. At the same time I am married, I have a mortgage and even if I spent the majority of my time travelling I'd always have a home so I wouldn't consider myself in the nomadic category. I am curious though how many people would describe themselves as a nomad or what other labels do you use to explain to people your lifestyle? 

• Brenda Burns

I have an irish friend who owns a home in London but travels over nine months a year because the taxes are too high for him to establish residency in the UK. We have

contact at least three times a week and most of the time he is on the move. I consider him a nomad despite the fact that he owns a home.

At first, it was romantic and exciting and I envied him. Every photo and travel story made me dream of abandoning my secure existence and jumping into his lifestyle. Over a couple of years, I have watched him have moments where he is travel weary (I get exhausted after a month abroad). Grass is always greener.. ...

• ·
    • ·

Send Brenda a Thank You Note