• Edward Lowe
  • "What is the best coat for 3 season travel?"

Edward Lowe

Seattle, Wa Usa

What is the best coat for 3 season travel?

We faced a packing problem on our recent travel to Japan.  Anticipating Rain, Snow, Sun all in one trip I packed a fleece jacket, long underwear and Gortex raincoat.  The problem is the fleece is really bulky and wind cuts right through it.  The raincoat was nerdy and the lining began to "snow" off of it.  The synthetic long  underwear was the best choice, very compact and warm.

What about a "packable down" sweater with wind/rainproof over jacket?  Rain pants would've been nice.

What have others done?

• Lauren Folkmann

Hi Edward,

Last year I invested in a Barbour jacket for an Alaskan cruise and it worked out really well - not too bulky but keeps the warmth in and the rain out. You can buy an additional liner for added warmth. Good luck!

• ·
    • ·

Send Lauren a Thank You Note