• AJ J
  • "What has been your favorite food experience while traveling?"

What has been your favorite food experience while traveling?

Sure, if loved your meal at Noma, or other famous restaurant, feel free to add to the list, but I'm particularly curious about any meal that brings up only the best memories for you.  So whether it's a private kitchen in someone's apartment in Hong Kong, ice fishing in Sweden, or grilling on a beach in Bali...tell me about it!

One of my favorite meal experiences was at Sideria Zelaia in Basque country just outside of San Sebastian. The cider house only opens from Mid-Jan to late April, but when it does, they crack open barrels of freshly fermented cider and cook an amazing meal of dishes specific to the celebration.  While you eat standing up, you constantly travel back and forth to a new barrel of cider being tapped to grab a drink.  Definitely a party the whole time, and really gives you a sense of what the Basque culture of food feels like.

• Florence (city)

Florence Tuscany

• Venice (city)

Venice Veneto

• San Sebastian (city)

San Sebastian País Vasco

• Louise Ferguson

Every single one of my happy food experiences happened in Italy- I don’t think you can go wrong in Italy as everything is made with Italian love but the key is to the local places and avoid English menus. Travelling from Rome to Venice via Florence and Milan there are a few places that stuck in mind.

Venice- warning, Venice has more tourist traps than anywhere else I’ve been but if you find the local places that serve authentic ‘Cicchetti’ it will change your whole experience. Think wine straight from the barrel accompanied by tiny mouthfuls of deliciousness. I went on the Cicchetti & Wine Tour of Venice and found the best places which I went back to each night.

VernazzaVernazza in Cinque Terre- Belforte (Ristorante Belforte) was the best restaurant I’ve ever eaten in terms of location as it’s located in a cliff overlooking the ocean.

VernazzaItalian Lakes- you have to go to an “Agriturismo” which is basically an Italian farmhouse where they serve all ingredients from their farm and serve in the farmhouse.

Take me back!

• Sarah G.

Sarah G.

I was going to add one of my cliff-side dining experiences in Cinque Terre as well! · (0 likelikes)

1. Italy (country)
    5. Milan (city)
    7. Vernazza (city)
    8. Cinque Terre (hotel)
    9. Belforte (restaurant)

• ·
    • ·

Send Louise a Thank You Note