• Paul McDowell
  • "What countries are available for me to spend 90 days out of Schengen now?"

What countries are available for me to spend 90 days out of Schengen now?

I'm American who came to Europe to spend about 24 months looking around. I Wasn't aware I needed a Visa, so I have none for EU. I hope to circumvent the problem of 90 days in/90 days out by taking refuge in non Schengen countries. My question is, after research for several hours, I find it difficult to determine which countries qualify for being 'out' of Schengen area because of the confusing designations. Some sites say Romania, Bulgaria, Croatia are not yet part, but being considered. Norway, Switzerland, Brit isles leave me confused as to their acceptability. I also see Bosnia/H, Albania, Macedonia, Kosovo are not considered (yet) Schengen.

QUESTION: What countries are available for me to spend 90 days out of Schengen now?  Hope you're able to help me and thank you.                

Paul M.

BTW: consulate in Madrid was 0 help

• Valerie Stimac

Paul, I'm not in immigration, but here's my best guess. This does depend on what country you are from. I can't tell from your profile, so my answer is for U.S. Citizens only.

The short answer is that there really isn't a great list for determining this. We know which countries are Schengen, but not which ones are about to be, or which ones strictly enforce Schengen even if they aren't legally recognized as such.

The Schengen Zone (based on http://www.schengenvisainfo.com/schengen-visa-countries-list/) is the following countries:

• Austria
    • Belgium
    • Czech republic
    • Denmark
    • Estonia
    • Finland
    • France
    • Germany
    • Greece
    • Hungary
    • Iceland
    • Italy
    • Latvia
    • Lithuania
    • Luxembourg
    • Malta
    • Netherlands
    • Norway
    • Poland
    • Portugal
    • Slovakia
    • Slovenia
    • Spain
    • Sweden
    • Switzerland
    • Liechtenstein

You can spend up to 90 days in any/all of these countries without needing a visa as a U.S. Citizen. On your 91st day, you must leave the zone and cannot reenter until another 90 days have passed. Another way to think of it: you can spend a maximum of 90 days in the zone, in any given 180 day period. So if you spend 30 days in, 60 days out, you can only spend up to another 60 days in before you have to leave again.

Also, the following countries are currently in the process of becoming subject to Schengen rules, so it's best to avoid them since the rules could change while you're in the country and it would be your responsibility to know this:

• Iceland
    • Montenegro
    • Serbia
    • The Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia
    • Turkey
    • Albania

Any country NOT on the above list is a good candidate for you to visit, but you should be aware of that country's visa requirements for visiting too -- for example, the UK operates by the similar rules to the Schengen Zone, but it should be considered a separate "zone..." that is, of course, unless you get some unpleasant immigration office who decides to grill you on why and where you're going.

When you're doing the 90/90 rule you will nearly always need to show "proof of onward travel," meaning you have to have your flights/trains/boats out of the country/zone booked before you enter it.

That all said, I would head to the nearest embassy and confer with them on the issue if possible, and be sure to do research online before traveling to any country. There are strict penalties for overstaying in any country beyond your tourist "non-visa" window or visa.

• Paul M.

Paul M.

Thank you Valery.... The designations, non EU/Schengen, EU/non Schengen, thinking of becoming, etc make it difficult. I will follow up on the websites you suggested. Are you up for correspondence with an Alaskan incarcerated in a foreign country? jk Thank you for your helpful answers Paul M · (1 likelikes)

• Denise M.

Denise M.

I have been reading differently, i.e., that the Schengen visa is cumulative, so that when your 180 days expires you start over. Meaning that if you have not spent the full 90 days in Schengen territories, you don't need a full 90 days out. Spend 30 days in Schengen, 30 days in Croatia, then 30 days in Schengen, then 15 days in Morocco, then 30 days in Schengen.., and then you only have to wait 45 days to restart... Am I reading this wrong? · (1 likelikes)

• Valerie S.

Valerie S.

Denise and Paul -- to follow up on this point, here's what I found: https://www.emigra.com/emigra-immigration-news/europe-new-guidelines-for-calculating-duration-of-stay-limits-in-schengen-area/ This suggests that it's got to be no more than 90 days in the previous 180, and that amount is always rolling. The 180 days doesn't really "expire" -- it keeps moving each new day... I guess the best way o describe it is: if you spent 90 out, and then 90 in... yes that would be 180 days total, but they wouldn't let you "start over" and spend another 90 days in, as part of the "new" 180 days. It's the responsibility of the traveler to know how many of the past 180 days they've spent in the zone, on any given day. · (2 likelikes)

• ·
    • ·

Send Valerie a Thank You Note