• Ryan Gamble
  • "What are those moments you've met someone exceptional on your travels?"

Ryan Gamble

Oakville

What are those moments you've met someone exceptional on your travels?

Doesn't matter where, nor when.... more so.. who was it that you met out of nowhere on a trip / adventure / life journey that made that moment / day unforgettable? Share with us this moment, and maybe tell us how we could find this person if we are travelling down that road ;)

For me, it could be a family that takes you into their home for a cooked meal to sit on the floor with their family of 12 to ask questions like, "what's it like in big city with all those lights.....?" to a fellow traveler who you share a moment with that turns into exploring century old ruins over lunch and extends into a dinner and hours of sharing travel stories.

Perhaps, you will just enjoy reliving that moment #idleTuesdayAfternoon that someone special crossed your path. 

These are the real gems that come out of nowhere to leave a mark on you! 

One quick one that always brings a smile to my face is running into someone 1 month later in a whole new country. I met them in Barcelona and seeing them 4 weeks later walking the streets of Prague...that moment of yelling across the street led to a priceless night of swapping stories, laughter, great food and drink! #nowYOUshare

• Mathilde Baillet

I met four extraordinary Indonesian guides on a trek in Bukit Lawang. Being attacked by oran-utan in the middle of the jungle didn't make our journey easy. The oldest female oran utan of the park crossed our path while we were conversing (bahasa/english mix) down to our isolated camp, a magic spot at a river's edge. I was talking to Aripin, our 50 years old guide, who was also an English teacher in the village. When he saw her on the path, he looked at me and say "run, bring your friend back to the top of the hill and wait for my signal". Well. He knew better the forest than I did. So I complied without questioning. Few minutes later, he called me, say we should pass slowly and reach the camp. He was there, seated on the path's edge, feeding the oran utan hand in hand, slowly. But he accidentally dropped the fruit. She got scared, and grabbed him by the neck. While trying to protect his face with his arm, she violently bit him hard enough to draw blood. Fortunately the camp was just down the hill, and reaching there, I helped him bandage his deep wounds. We couldn't stay at the camp for the night, she had become crazy and was yelling from a tree on top of us, shaking branches & throwing back the stones our guides tossed at her. Aripin, together with our other bro's, Hans, Mohamad and Herman, packed the camp for good. We had no other choice than leave her behind through the river. It was the most intense & dangerous canyoning ever, the oran utan following us for quite some time. Aripin's arm had doubled but he still gave me his other hand each time I needed help. None of them did look scared at all. They helped us fight with the fear with smiles and jokes. After 2 more hours running in the river, we settled a new camp by its side, took an incredibly delicious bath, ate the most wonderful dinner I've ever had, laughed a lot, played dozens of games & riddles with our new friends. Aripin had gone back to the village for an injection. But he was back here to wake us up, leaving the village at 5am, walking 4 hours through the jungle with his bandage, to be by our side till the end of our journey. This was one of the most unforgettable moment I have had with locals, lost in the jungle. We're still in touch and I look forward to going back.

1. Bukit Lawang (region)

• ·
    • ·

Send Mathilde a Thank You Note