• Stephanie Grace
  • "What are the best travel rewards credit cards?"

Stephanie Grace

Los Angeles, California

What are the best travel rewards credit cards?

I am planning on traveling back and forth between LA and the UK in the coming year. I don't have many loyalty memberships with tons of frequent flyer miles/points racked up. I am thinking of opening a type of credit card that automatically gives you travel points or frequent flyer miles upon signing up.

Any recommendations or advice? 

• John Sappington

My wife and I have traveled to Europe every other year since 1989 and we have flown free every time except for two trips. I have both United Mileage Plus and U.S. Airways Cards, as well as a Chase Sapphire Preferred Card that gives Chase Ultimate Award points. The Chase points transfer 1 point to 1 mile to United Airlines, Singapore Airlines, Southwest Airlines, British Airlines (called avios instead of miles), and Virgin Atlantic. They also transfer to Hotels and Amtrak. (The best hotel chain to transfer to is Hyatt, because their free stays require fewer points). To get to London, United and British are available through Chase points.

If you fly economy on United by using the Chase transfer points or using the United Mileage Plus card miles, it will take 30,000 miles each way for Saver Awards and 65,000 miles each way for Standard Awards, plus tax of about $6 to $12 on the way over and about $200 on the return (because of high fees and taxes to fly out of the UK). It's easier to get Saver Awards mid-week and in non-summer months. Right now, nonstop Saver Awards are available are available through May and after September for LAX to Heathrow, and on some one-stop flights through the summer. United partners through Star Alliance with Lufthansa and Air Canada (among others), and it is often easier to get Saver Awards with them, especially in the summer. Lufthansa charges a little more in taxes and Air Canada charges about the same. I flew Air Canada through Toronto to London in June and it was a pretty good ride and an easy transfer. The return flight from Munich to Chicago was good on United (although they have started to charge for alcohol in coach on international flights), but the leg on United from Chicago to LAX was really bad in economy- no entertainment and a really cramped seat for a flight that long.

Virgin Atlantic is a great airline and you can transfer Chase points to them. However, they charge $475 each way for taxes and fees for a "free" ticket.

The Chase Mileage Plus Explorer card gives you a free checked bag, early boarding, and a few other perks, and you should get 30,000 bonus miles when you charge $1,000 in the first three months and an extra 5,000 miles if you add another card user and make a charge in the first 3 months. This is down from as much as 50,000 miles previously given for spending $3,000 in the first three months.

British Airlines partners with American (and US Air until they merge totally with American) through oneworld. Economy MileSaaver Awards on American are 20,000 miles each way and 45,000 for Economy Anytime each way, considerably better than United. Awards booked LAX to London on British Airways website cost 25,000 avios for economy. I can't tell how much the taxes are now, but they have been more than $500 for a roundtrip ticket when I checked before. Because of the higher taxes, British flights have been easier to book. If they have lowered their fees, that may not be the case. The Citibank American Aadvantage Platinum Card gives you 50,000 bonus miles when you spend $3,000 in the first 3 months, with perks similar to United's cards, making it a better deal right now. I am going to cancel my US Airways Card and get this card shortly, so I get the 50,000 extra miles before the merger is complete and my US Air miles are rolled into an American account.

There is one more type of credit card, which I am considering to replace my Chase Sapphire Card. The Barclaycard Arrival Plus Card gives you 2 miles for every dollar spent on anything. They are offering 40,000 miles (worth $400 in travel) when you get the card and charge $3,000 in the first three months. You book any travel on the card and use the accrued miles to get a credit for the travel charges when they become due. This allows you to book on any flight on any airline, which makes it easier to book nonstop flights and book at the last minute. Since you get 2 miles for every dollar, if you charge $10,000 on the card, you get 20,000 miles, worth $200 in travel credit. It's usually not quite as good a return as booking saver awards through United or American, but it gives you much more flexibility. Like the Sapphire and Mileage Plus cards, it has no foreign transaction fees. You also get back 20% of your miles when you use them to credit your account. You can use this card for all sorts of travel expenses, even those booked through sites like Priceline and Hotwire as long as the vendor codes them as travel.

Now that you are completely confused, you can check online to compare travel credit cards at several websites, including nerdwallet.com. and cardhub.com. Good luck.

• Mark D.

Mark D.

That's some serious detail - awesome · (0 likelikes)

• John S.

John S.

Thanks for liking my answer! · (0 likelikes)

• ·
    • ·

Send John a Thank You Note