• Andrew Zimmern
  • "What are the best travel destinations for international travel rookies?"

Andrew Zimmern

Minneapolis, Minnesota

What are the best travel destinations for international travel rookies?

For travelers who haven't been outside the U.S., where would you recommend they visit for their first international trip? Why?

• Andy H.

Andy H.

Hey Andrew. Just listened to your interview on Tim Ferris' podcast. Amazing story! · (0 likelikes)

• Andy Huang

The biggest difficulty for rookie travelers is probably the language barrier. Rookie travelers should expect to make mistakes, and the easier it is to recover from those mistakes, the better. So I think rookie travelers should look to go to places where they will have little to no trouble communicating with the locals, where they understand the customs, and where they won't have to spend a lot of money.

That essentially rules out most of central and South America, Africa, most of Asia, and a large portion of Europe.

One destination that I think is great for rookie U.S. travelers is the Philippines. Little do people know but the Philippines was a U.S. colony during WWII and because of that most Filipinos grew up learning and speaking English. That means most places you'll visit you will have no trouble communicating with the locals.

Another great thing about the Philippines is that living costs are extremely cheap. You can get a 1 bedroom suite in the middle of downtown Manila for less than $50/day. You can eat an amazing meal at a high end restaurant for less than $10. You can go out and party your head off for less than $20. You can travel like a king and still save money.

Of course I also have to talk about how awesome the Filipino people are. They are super friendly and very welcoming. You can go pretty much anywhere and quickly make friends with the locals. Filipinos welcome foreigners and are genuinely curious about life abroad. They are also extremely generous and will make you feel like an honored guest.

Lastly I'll mention the incredible beauty you'll find in the Philippines. The country has some of the most amazing beaches in Boracay Island

Boracay Islandimage from outravel.blogspot.comsome of the best diving in Palawan

Palawanreally awesome volcanoes in Mayon Volcano, and amazing rice terraces in Banaue. Banaueimage from bestourism.comAnd all of these destinations are within a couple of hours from Manila.

It's still pretty surprising to me how few people talk about visiting the Philippines when they mention traveling through SEA. Honestly I think they are all missing out on one of the best kept secrets in that area of the world.

• Juli L.

Juli L.

Wow, great suggestions. I too had never thought about that as a destination but I will now! · (1 likelikes)

• Andy H.

Andy H.

The Philippines doesn't do a very good job of advertising tourism, which is both a good and a bad thing. Good for travelers, but bad for the economy. · (0 likelikes)

1. Philippines (country)
    2. Boracay Island (island)
    3. Palawan (city)
    4. Mayon Volcano (attraction)
    5. Banaue (city)

• ·
    • ·

Send Andy a Thank You Note