• Jinny Oh
  • "What are some underrated cities you've visited?"

Jinny Oh

Los Angeles, California

What are some underrated cities you've visited?

There are a handful of places I've been that I did not think I would enjoy like Seoul, Korea or Chicago, Illinois. However, when I visited these places, I found myself visiting more than once because they were simply amazing and totally underrated. 

What are some places you've been that you thought weren't going to be that great, but ended up being totally amazing?

Jinny
www.travelholicsdiary.com

• Lindsey Silva

So this isn't "international," if you're an American, but I have to throw in that if anyone comes to Texas, they absolutely should not miss the Texas hill country. Southwest of Austin, northwest of San Antonio lies rolling hills, limestone and granite outcroppings, emerald-green and totally clear streams lined by towering cypress trees, and German/TexMex-inspired foods (think jalapeno bratwurst) and original German architecture. There are TONS of vineyards, wineries, distilleries and breweries, plus some killer biking routes (even though I'm not into biking) and tons of scenic drives, and the small towns have a lot of Texas character and friendliness.

My recommendations (as a native):

Mountain Home for scenic drives. There is NOTHING out here, but the silence and the scenery are beautiful.

Hunt and/or Ingram for swimming. They're less well-known, so you're not always having to fight off other tourists in the high season. But maybe campers from the nearby summer camps, so plan accordingly.

Comfort to get that small-town feel, while also exploring the shops and unique businesses (and to get a taste for the one or two local wineries nearby). There's also some cool architecture, but don't plan on spending an entire day here.

Blanco for the Real Ale Brewing Company, which is one of, in my opinion, the best breweries in Texas. Plus, there's a park in the town with what looks to be a great swimming spot, although I've never been...

While kind of considered the fringes of the hill country, I also love little Utopia. Stop by and get a slice of the Lost Maples Cafe's famous pie (their buttermilk pie is AMAZING, but so are all the other flavors), then continue on to camp at Garner State Park, where you can swim in the rock-bottomed, crystal-clear, spring-fed (enough adjectives?) Frio River and hike its amazing trails. Maybe even try Texas two-stepping on the outdoor dance floor, every night during the summer :). I've got lots of great memories at Garner!

Speaking of camping at state parks, Lost Maples State Natural Area and Pedernales Falls State Park are also amazing, just FYI :).

And of course, I'd be remiss not to include Fredericksburg (Texas), as any guidebook of the Texas hill country would say that you need to visit it. Enchanted Rock is absolutely worth seeing (IF you get there early enough, before the crowds set in), all of the surrounding vineyards and wineries are great, and Main Street is adorable and full of character. But my two recommendations for visiting Fredericksburg are to go to Hondo's On Main for a VERY alcoholic jalapeno margarita, and Hilltop Café for a non-touristy, very excellent (albeit somewhat pricey) meal.

Other honorable mentions to this list would be Mason, Llano and Marble Falls.

Probably way more info than anyone asked for, but the hill country really is pretty awesome--although I might be biased! ;D

• Denise D.

Denise D.

I just did San Antonio/Austin and Hill Country last May- it was a GREAT trip and I really loved the Hill Country area! Fredericksburg, Boerne and even Bandera, just quirky and cool! · (1 likelikes)

• Lindsey S.

Lindsey S.

I'm so glad you liked it, Denise! It's one of those things you >don't< want everyone to know about because it might get overrun, but also one of those things you >do< want everyone to know about because it's so cool :). · (0 likelikes)

• Janelle K.

Janelle K.

My favourite activity in Austin/Hill Country is to walk past Franklin BBQ and laugh at all those hipster a-holes who think that wasting half a day in line for good but not great BBQ makes them cooler than you and me :-D · (0 likelikes)

1. Mountain Home (city)
    2. Hunt (city)
    3. Ingram (city)
    4. Comfort (city)
    5. Blanco (city)
    6. Real Ale Brewing Company (attraction)
    7. Utopia (city)
    8. Lost Maples Cafe (restaurant)
    9. Garner State Park (attraction)
    10. Lost Maples State Natural Area (attraction)
    11. Pedernales Falls State Park (attraction)
    12. Fredericksburg (Texas) (city)
    13. Enchanted Rock (attraction)
    14. Hondo's On Main (restaurant)
    15. Hilltop Café (restaurant)
    16. Mason (city)
    17. Llano (city)
    18. Marble Falls (city)

• ·
    • ·

Send Lindsey a Thank You Note