• Marco Polo
  • "What are some great places around the world to travel solo?"

What are some great places around the world to travel solo?

All my travel friends are married and I want to take a solo trip out of the country. Doesn't have to be Europe. Where are the best places in the world to travel solo?

• Gina Czupka

So many choices out there, Mike. It really comes down to budget and what you like to do. I've never been to country where I *haven't* met a solo traveler—everything's what you make of it. That said, here are a few thoughts:

* Southeast Asia: The sheer number of backpackers coming through the area means you'll never want for people to meet. Thailand is the biggest draw, and, well, there's a reason people go there: cheap, lots to do, good tourist infrastructure, tons of accommodations, good food, good weather.

Thailandimage from 99traveltips.comFor my money, Laos is the place to go, and it'd be super easy to travel solo.

* Central America: I swear I can't go a day without seeing something about Nicaragua these days. Seems like tons of young people are flocking there and they infrastructure is in place. Of course, there's tons to do in Mexico too, whether you want food, culture or nature.

* South America: Peru would be a great starting point. It's easy to get around, great infrastructure in place and lots of other travelers.

* Europe: I'd kind of sworn Europe off, and then we got stranded there and decided to kick around for a while and we realized "Holy s*%$, this is great!" It is just so fricking easy to get around and do anything. If you want to get off the beaten path, it's easy enough to do, and then you can just hop right back into a more happening place if you feel the need. Prices are higher than the three regions above, obviously, but if you plan right and watch your budget, it's doable.

• Marco P.

Marco P.

Thanks Gina. Oddly enough, I've been to Peru and most of central America, and Thailand, Singapore and Cambodia. I was thinking maybe Instabul or Morocco. or maybe even Ireland and Scotland. · (0 likelikes)

• Gina C.

Gina C.

Istanbul is a snap. One of my favorite cities in the world; you'll experience the most incredible hospitality there and throughout Turkey. I had a great time in Scotland as well—incredibly friendly people! I'm plotting out a Morocco myself, and it seems like it'd be an easy place to go solo—lots of good connections, hotels and transport options. · (0 likelikes)

1. Thailand (country)
    2. Laos (country)
    3. Nicaragua (country)
    4. Mexico (country)
    5. Peru (country)

• ·
    • ·

Send Gina a Thank You Note