• Amy Marie
  • "What are some cities that are perfect home bases for travelers?"

Amy Marie

Florida

What are some cities that are perfect home bases for travelers?

A lot of travelers are nomadic, calling one city a "home base" where they can leave their car and valuables while they travel the world indefinitely.

What are some cities around the world that are great home bases? Right now I'm looking for one in the U.S., but I would love to hear ones all over the world (I hear anywhere in Thailand is great).

Some factors might be
1) Low cost of living
2) Major airports within or nearby city
3) A strong travel community

Let me know some places! Thanks!

• Andy Huang

My personal favorite is Manila. It has a major international airport with direct flights to the West coast of the United States, and flights to all major airports in Asia and Australia.

Manila

I lived in Manila for 3 years and I had an absolute blast. There is a large expat community in downtown Manila (Makati, Rockwell, and the Fort) and most people you'll come across speak fluent English.

Cost of living is also very low. You can get a great 1 br apartment in downtown for around $500/month. Food and drinks are also cheap so you can easily get by for about $1,000 a month if you don't party all the time.

My favorite part about the Philippines is that it is very easy to travel within the country and to see all the amazing places there are to explore. There is surfing in La Union, snorkeling with whale sharks in Donsol, partying on beaches in Boracay Island, and amazing diving in Palawan. If you're tired of the tropical climate, you can even go up to the mountains in Baguio City and stay in houses with fireplaces.

1. Manila (city)
    2. La Union (metro area)
    3. Donsol (city)
    4. Boracay Island (island)
    5. Palawan (city)
    6. Baguio City (city)

• ·
    • ·

Send Andy a Thank You Note