• jamie miller
  • "Tips for sailing in the Virgin Islands"

jamie miller

Seattle, Washington

Tips for sailing in the Virgin Islands

I am a relatively new skipper and want to take my family on a bare boat trip. We'll need to rent a sailboat. What are some options? Is this trip too challenging for a newbie sailor? What months would pose likely weather challenges, i.e. heavy winds, too hot, too wet? We are likely to focus on the BVIs, but certainly could be swayed.

• Gary Allard

Jamie,

Your choice to start your bare boat experience in the BVI is perfect. Sailing and navigation is fairly easy and there are some great places to see. I've had two great bare boat trips there and they just keep getting better.

Sunsail (owned by Moorings, I believe) is the major charter company there. They are by far the most popular and usually easy to book. They have boats in many of the ports.

Best months are winter and early spring through April. Once you get further into May, the weather becomes a little less predictable. Late May and into the summer, you'll get rainstorms and the possibility of hurricanes, as well as some pretty sweltering heat. Winds seemed fairly light throughout the region during the winter and early spring. There is usually a price break in the shoulder season around April and May on Charters, too.

For routes, I've done a couple, some better than others. You will likely be starting out from Tortola/ Beef Island (main airport there). I'd say on the top of my list of islands and harbors to see would be:

From there, you're on your own! It's a great start for your first bare boat and you'll likely want to return again. Take advantage of all the local knowledge, your charter host will have a ton of knowledge for both sailing and where to go. Enjoy!

• Josh B.

Josh B.

Rent from the Moorings. This comment nailed all the highlights! · (1 likelikes)

1. Jost Van Dyke Island (island)
    2. Soggy Dollar Bar (restaurant)
    3. Little Jost Van Dyke (island)
    4. Sandy Spit (attraction)
    5. Nanny Cay (island)
    6. Tortola (city)
    7. Peter Island (attraction)
    8. Norman Island (attraction)
    9. Willy T (attraction)
    10. Virgin Gorda (attraction)
    11. The Baths (attraction)
    12. Bitter End Yacht Club (hotel)
    13. Spanish Town (city)
    14. Virgin Gorda Yacht Harbour (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Gary a Thank You Note