• Jon Carlaw
  • "Looking for the best use of 2 1/2 weeks in Vietnam, Cambodia, & Thailand"

Jon Carlaw

Miami, Florida

Looking for the best use of 2 1/2 weeks in Vietnam, Cambodia, & Thailand

Traveling with the wife, we're not looking for the party scene but rather great food, a bit of culture, some beach time (emphasis on scenic), a bit of history, and coming back with some amazing photos. 

Our timeframe is the end of Nov - very early Dec. So far a must seems to be Yi Peng Lantern Festival and Loy Krathong in Chiang Mai. 

While I'm sure we could cover off most of the top spots, we typically don't like to spend our whole time traveling between spots. Looking for 3-maybe 4 overnight locations tops. Not looking for $$$$ but not $ either. 

What are the musts?

Best (secluded) beach? Is there one in Vietnam that rivals Thailands?

North versus South Vietnam? Or best to try to cover them both off?

What's the best way to travel between Thailand to Vietnam, how easy is it?

Angor Wat? Seems like a must but how much would we need to carve off to do it and what else is on the way to make that time worthwhile?

Any accommodation recommendations in these spots as well?

Thanks

• Sa Pa District (metro area)

Sa Pa District Lao Cai

• Hanoi (city)

Hanoi

• Hoi An (city)

Hoi An

• Justin Schmid

I'll take Hanoi over HCMC any day. I love the food in the north, and the Old Quarter is so much fun. A lot of the streets in the Old Quarter are named after what they sell on those streets. There are also some specialties in Hanoi you won't find in many other places, like bun cha ha noi and cha ca ha noi. If you want a medium-priced but very cool place to stay, check out the Hanoi Rendezvous Hotel. Hanoi also has some great museums. I can't remember the name of the military history museum, but it was fascinating.

You're also close to Sa Pa District and Halong Bay. If you haven't heard of the homestay hikes from Sa Pa, you should definitely add it to your list. Here's a story about my homestay. You won't believe how cloudy and foggy it is in Sa Pa

My favorite part of HCMC was going out to Cu Chi Tunnels. Otherwise, it was just OK. The Mekong Delta is kind of interesting, but it's far down the pecking order of interesting-to-me activities in Vietnam.

About Halong Bay ... I actually had a lot more fun spending a night on Cat Ba Island rather than staying in the more secluded bungalows. I like wandering cities of all sizes and meeting people.

1. Hanoi Rendezvous Hotel (hotel)
    2. Sa Pa District (metro area)
    3. Cu Chi Tunnels (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Justin a Thank You Note