• Victoria Young
  • "Two winter days road trip between Melbourne and Canberra?"

Victoria Young

London, United Kingdom

Two winter days road trip between Melbourne and Canberra?

Hello,

I'm doing a road trip from Melbourne up to Canberra over a weekend in August, with a first time visitor to Aus!

So far our plan is to spend the first day in Healesville / the Yarra Valley, overnight somewhere near Benalla / Wangaratta depending on how far we can drive, then head up the Hume Highway the next day - as the coast route might be a bit miserable in the winter. We're not keen on roads that would mean driving with snowchains as we'll be in a hire car we're picking up that morning... Any suggestions for:

A better itinerary?

A good overnight stopping place?

Good diversions or a good lunch stop from the Hume Highway for day 2?

Victoria

• Tony Carne

I can definitely help with Day 1. My family is in Wodonga and I live in Melbourne so I'm always trying to find an interesting way to do the drive. I'd say this is my favourite if going via Healesville. If going to the Sanctuary then try to arrive right on opening time. From here to Buxton (Australia) and treat yourself to a Buxton Burger for lunch. Many claim the best burger - but this is actually it. Buxton was savaged in the Black Saturday bush fires so this is a great way to support the local community by stopping and spending some money. Grab it take away and find a spot with a nice view of the stunning Cathedral Range State Park. From here it is a beautiful drive through to Alexandra (Australia), Victoria. Take the road through Mansfield (Australia) and up to the King Valley. I'd pull in to Pizzini Lana Trento Vineyard (just after Chestnut and before Whitfield) and then onto Milawa. Stop here to pick up some gourmet produce including cheese, olives, mustard and blueberries to have for picnic the next day. Maybe drop in for a tasting at Brown Bros. Milawa Vineyard winery. From here drive up to Beechworth for a potter around the shops of this wonderfully maintained historic town before arriving in Wodonga. You may well choose to pull up before here but I recommend if you can to come through to here to dine at Broad Gauge restaurant situated in the old train station as it is one of the absolute finest places to eat outside the major cities in Australia. Book ahead as its often booked out.

• Victoria Y.

Victoria Y.

Thank you! We are currently at the end of day one and have had a great time. This morning's weather meant we swapped Healsville for the Yarra Valley Ice Creamery (and their hot chocolate festival) and have then pottered up via Buxton and the ranges. Overnighting in Beechworth before heading on into Canberra - thank you for the tips! · (1 likelikes)

• Tony C.

Tony C.

Have fun. Don't suppose you saw if the Buxton Burger is still happening? · (0 likelikes)

1. Healesville (city)
    2. Buxton (Australia) (city)
    3. Cathedral Range State Park (attraction)
    4. Alexandra (Australia) (city)
    5. Mansfield (Australia) (city)
    6. Pizzini Lana Trento Vineyard (attraction)
    7. Whitfield (city)
    8. Milawa (city)
    9. Brown Bros. Milawa Vineyard (attraction)
    10. Beechworth (city)
    11. Wodonga (city)

• ·
    • ·

Send Tony a Thank You Note