• Kevin Higgins
  • "Tips for Must see and Must do's in these Italian Cities?"

Kevin Higgins

Warren (Michigan), Michigan

Tips for Must see and Must do's in these Italian Cities?

We are making our first trip to Italy.  Flying into Venice, and working our way to Bologna and then Florence.  This portion of our trip will be seven nights total. Trip is end of June 2015.  Group will be 2 - 54 yr olds,  my mother -  a youngish 79 and my 21 yr old son.

Open to any and all suggestions.  How to get around?

I'm thinking of train but hear decent things about train service.

What about cities slightly off the beaten track but might be considered "Must See".

Thoughts?

• Bologna (city)

Bologna Emilia-Romagna

• Venice (city)

Venice Veneto

• San Marco Square (attraction)

Venice Venezia 30124 041 528 5092

• Gaia Zol

Hi Kevin,

Traveling around Italy with Trenitalia (the state owned train service) is very easy and all the cities you mentioned are connected with each other. You can either catch the Frecce (faster, but expensive) or local trains that take longer, are cheaper but sometimes over-crowded.

When you go to Venice, don't sleep in the city (it is expensive) and if you have time catch a ferry to Burano: a little gem in the lagoon.

Something different to do in Florence -after you have strolled around its unique center- includes going to the Parco delle Cascine- a big park not too far from downtown where a big open air market takes place.

On the other hand, Bologna is pretty small, but make sure to check out http://www.osteriadellorsa.com/ and its food.

In Siena, visit Piazza del Campo and then start walking around the narrow medieval streets to enjoy the view of the Tuscan hills.

I hope this helps a bit..

Safe travels! :)

2. Burano (island)
    4. Parco delle Cascine (attraction)
    5. Bologna (city)
    6. Siena (city)
    7. Piazza del Campo (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Gaia a Thank You Note