Marie R

Las Vegas, Nevada

Off the beaten path Venice

Hi, I'll be visiting Venice. After having seen the top sites on previous trips, any off the beaten path recommendations? Quirky stores? Quirky sites? I'm completely open to any ideas. Thank you!!

• Debbie Lee

Nice! I was in last summer and these would be my top three off-the-beaten path recommendations. Two of them are on their own islands off of Venice, but just a short ferry ride away!

Cimitero di San Michele -- the cemetery here on Isola San Michele is just stunning and really beautiful and tranquil. The weekend day that I went was absolutely gorgeous and my friends and I were pretty much the only people there. Its been around since the mid-1800s and there are all sorts of different kinds of burials there. Really fascinating stuff.

Cimitero di San Micheleimage from italissimo.deCimitero di San Micheleimage from comune.cagliari.itCimitero di San Micheleimage from flickr.comCimitero di San Micheleimage from panoramio.comCimitero di San Micheleimage from cepolina.com

Glasstress -- Everyone knows to go over to Murano for some glass art, but I feel like the real treat is the Glasstress gallery. It's all the way at the end of the island away from where you'd arrive on ferry. Which isn't that far, considering the island is tiny. All the other places on the island just seem like touristy spots. Glasstress is probably one of few spots where you have to pay to get in (I think it was 5-10 Euro) and it was totally worth it. It will make you really appreciate glass art if you hadn't already before.

Note: I don't know when you're going, but Glasstress only happens certain years (it appears to have opened every other year) during certain months, so be sure to check their website!

Glasstressimage from beirutexhibitioncenter.comGlasstressimage from designboom.comGlasstressimage from designboom.com

Osteria al Diavolo e l'Acquasanta -- probably my favorite meal in Italy so far! My friends and I very randomly stumbled upon this place. It was off of the tourist grid, tucked away in a little alley. It was full of locals and full of Japanese tourists, so much so that they actually had a Japanese menu on display. Not to be making blanket comments about cultures, but my Japanophile friend pointed out that this was a good thing because this probably meant that it was written about in a Japanese guide of Venice. He said that they're a culture known to have pretty refined tastes, so we decided to gave it a try.

Out of all the places we had been in Venice, this was the only restaurant, and place, in fact, where we actually needed to wait in line -- 2 hours, be exact. And it was worth it. Great spritzes, squid ink pasta, spaghetti and meatballs, wine... yum :)

Osteria Al Diavolo L'Aquasantaimage from compathy.netOsteria Al Diavolo L'Aquasantaimage from smallpotatoesmakethesteaklookbigger.blogspot.com

I hope you have a good time!

• Marie R.

Marie R.

Hi Debbie, How is this for a coincidence? First, last fall I went to Murano to run an errand. I took several pictures of the outside of the cemetery, not knowing that it was it is until I read your post. Hopefully I will have time to get there again on this trip to see Glasstress. Second coincidence - after a cicchetti tour our guide recommended this same restaurant. It was one of my favorite nights. The food was fantastic and considering all that we ordered, the bill was very reasonable. There was no line (maybe we lucked out?), although waited about 30 minutes or so. Time to enjoy more wine while getting to know the others (went to dinner with folks from my tour). · (1 likelikes)

Wow! Very cool! Well, I hope you make it to the cemetery this time, and also Glasstress! By the way, I should note -- when are you going? Because I just remembered that the Glasstress gallery is not there all the time. In 2013, they were there from June through November and I just looked at their website and it looks like they host something every other year. So be sure to check their website: http://www.glasstress.org/ I'll update my answer. I hope you find some amazing restaurants! :) · (0 likelikes)

1. Cimitero di San Michele (attraction)
    2. Glasstress (attraction)
    3. Osteria al Diavolo e l'Acquasanta (restaurant)

• ·
    • ·

Send Debbie a Thank You Note