• Veronica Martinez
  • "First time in Italy. Advice please."

First time in Italy. Advice please.

We are planning a trip to Italy. How long should we plan on staying to get a good vacation out of it? We are artists and want to check out artwork and experience good places to eat. Advice needed on where to stay and how to get from one place to the next - museums, restaurants and hotel.

• Jacey & Scott Mahaffy

Generally for Venice specifically, I think 3 days allows you time to see all that you want to see and also the all important time to just wander around Venice-which really is what makes you fall in love with the city. If you are going to spend more time than the average person spends studying the chuches and museums, I would add that 4th day just to make sure you can wander. If incorporating the other islands (Murano is delightful)-add the 5th....

My husband is right about stretching to 2 weeks. From there, I usually think about the places I need to see and how much "down" time I would like as Europe (and Italy) can make you try to cram in a ton of stuff so you see everything-which can make you exhausted!! If you say Rome, Venice, Florence-you can easily spend enough time in each to really say you visited and get a feel for each one and still have a few days left-over to "rest" in Tuscany or Lake Como areas. You can easily get between these places by train, which also allows you to take in a bit of the countryside.

• ·
    • ·

Send Jacey & Scott a Thank You Note