Jason Haas

Arlington (Virginia), Virginia

USA cross country road trip

I want to do a cross country road trip starting from Washington, DC to California and back.  I was thinking about taking a southern route on the way out west and then a northern route on the way back.  Some places I want to hit are:

• Yosemite National Park
  • Yellowstone National Park
  • Mount Rushmore
  • Grand Canyon
  • Portland, OR
  • Moab Valley, UT
  • Chicago, IL
  • Nashville, TN

Any recommendations or tips?  Any other must see places? 

• Zach T

Some tips i wrote out for a buddy that will apply to you to:

Basic Ideas/thoughts/feelings

i like your route, its seems like you have a good urban mix in there which suites you well. My preference might be more remote and wild but you will get plenty of that as well. I would just go on your route, meet people, get ideas from them and take some side trips based on what you feel. I have been really lazy with videos and blogs on living out of a car and travelling but here are a few tips i have learned after years- a decade?- doing this:

- get the annual national park pass- if you go to 4 or more parks, its worth it. just ask for it at the first park

-leave your front seat open- for easy access for any hitchhikers you see. always pick up female hitchhikers and most males as long as they are just some homeless guy, even then- pick em up. the stories are excellent.

-always have a few beers or a case in the back of your car- to share at campsites when you wonder over to someones campfire. i prefer something more obscure like ginger beer or weird beers like lionshead

-a instrument if you know how to play it.

-Food: i use alot of canned goods and grains that just need to add boiling water to. Couscous is good- curried cashew style. long life milk and cereal is great- my favorite is canned coconut milk. it will be cool enough you can get away with perishable foods for a few days (butter,veggies,salads,milk,etc). bring plenty of eggs, they are like a canvas on which you create masterpiece meals. chips and salsa rock. salt and pepper can make anything taste good.

fishing rod- you never know when you can just pull off the road and throw a line in.

-retrofit your car so you can sleep in it. this is so handy when you get somewhere and its pouring rain or you rock up in a city with no where to stay. you can slip into the back and park it on the steet somewhere. i've done this at least 50 times in the last 5 years. San Fran, Sydney, Melbourne, Phoenix, Vegas, Perth (like 40 times).

LA- you can stay with at my brother place in culver city- he can point you to some cool places- he lives about 4 miles from venice and santa monica beaches- you can just cruze down there on by bike. i love the beach culture there- some real wackos. much different than australia beaches.

grow the beard- this has paid dividends for me on the road (not so much in greater society though)

go off road when possible- i got two flat tires at the same time in the rental while trying to do this in tassie. i had to walk out to someones house and hitch a ride to town 50 km.

keep notes everyday. i still look at mine on occasion to reminisce about the good old days.

look at a paper map, bring a paper map. if it looks cool on the map, go check it out. my dad has AAA motor club so he can get all the paper maps for free and guide books free.

Trip ideas and thoughts

It will be april/may so there will still be snow in the high country.

-Not sure about Albuquerque as time may be better spent elsewhere. i have not been there so i dont really know. ive heard Santa Fe is cool. and check out Taos just north of sante fe. i think it is a ski town.

- do the great sand dunes. youll see sand and snow and mountains all in one landscape. i recommend sprinting down the dunes as fast as possible. devin knows what he is talking about. i think zapata falls in the in the area as well for a quick side trip.

- I like to hang out in Telluride colorado but a bit out of the way for your route. the via ferrata looks really cool. http://www.dallasnews.com/lifestyles/travel/us/20130722-tullerides-via-ferrata-is-a-climb-for-the-brave.ece . if nothing else just hike up to the top of the waterfall as seen in picture 5. if you go, there is a free camping spot that is sick and overlooks the town. beautiful at night. however, there is still going to be a lot of snow so you may not be able to get up to it.

-San Juan Mountains (right where Telluride is) are amazing ({weminuche wilderness for a few overnigts

-also near Telluride is Ouray- you can do some ice climbing...

-so you could alter you route to go from albuquerque/sante fe to taos to Durango/Telluride then over to great sandunes and up to denver. a bit all over but worth looking into the options. see how you feel on the road.

-Yosemite National Park- would be greeat in spring because of high flowing water falls- camp in the park with climbing bums- ask brock landers where to go- he has bummed all around there.

-Death Valley National Park would be good this time of year. so would joshua tree in southern california. it seems like you want to do the cali coast- if you didnt you could go through death valled, bishop california, mammoth lakes, yosemite the san fran... I would probaly do the cali coast though- meet so cool people.

Wind River Range wyoming- really loved this remote and rugged range. i did the cirque of the towers hike but it will be snowed in at this time of year

Lander wyoming- bars where all kinds of outdoor guides and nols instructors live and hang

-do the Bighorn National Forest for me. i really want to get into that mountain range

-if you go through south dakota- there is a little side trip you can do. Near Kadoka South Dakota, look up a thing called the iron cross or something like that. it is some farmer who welded together a bunch of metal to make a huge cross. its rusted out but still a cool little side trip that no one would ever find out about unless they were looking.

- do Rushmore in badlands

-North Dakota badlands/theodore roosevelt nat park are pretty cool but probably not worth the extra effort. the is a bike trail that runs 90-100 miles called the maah dey hey trail. i did two hours on it. weird feeling because you are in the middle of a huge plain. the heartland. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maah_Daah_Hey_Trail

Colorado Plateau:-The colorado Plateau is awesome but empty. it is the northern arizona/southern utah area of the world. So much cool stuff to see here:

-North Rim of the Grand Canyon- I hope it is open for you (no snow) but it probably wont be. so here is another option, something i have dreamed of doing- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toroweap_Overlook . Toroweap Overlook is really remote and really hard to get to but lower elevation so would probably not be snowed in.

- and if you are heading to toroweap, i would check out Colorado City arizona. it is polygamist city. jon krakauers book under the banner of heaven talks abou tit

-If you go to the canyon, you have to make the long hard trek to the bottom and back. it will give you a true perspective of the canyon. And i would highly recommend camping at least one night in the canyon if you can. You have to get a permit which means you are running out of time but may be able to walk in and get one.

-from the north rim, an epic trail to the bottom is the 14 mile nankoweap trail (there are some ruins at teh bottom). so amazing.

- Antelope Canyon looks amazing- need a permit

-get onto the rez for a look at how they live

-Havasu Falls on the southern side of the canyon is remarkable

-Buckskin Gulch. or any slot canyon you can get into

zion- narrows is really cool, the other one is the subway (never done it), and angels landing looks like a must hike...

im just confusing you more so do whatever you want to do. Ive had a good life with abundant adventures. let me know if you want expansion on any topic.

1. Albuquerque (city)
    2. Santa Fe (city)
    3. Taos (city)
    4. Telluride (city)
    5. San Juan Mountains (attraction)
    6. Ouray (city)
    7. Durango (city)
    8. Yosemite National Park (park)
    9. Death Valley National Park (park)
    10. Wind River Range (attraction)
    11. Lander (city)
    12. Bighorn National Forest (attraction)
    13. Kadoka (city)
    14. South Dakota (state)
    15. Rushmore (city)
    16. North Dakota (state)
    17. Colorado Plateau (attraction)
    18. Grand Canyon (attraction)
    19. Toroweap Overlook (attraction)
    20. Colorado City (city)
    21. Antelope Canyon (park)
    22. Havasu Falls (attraction)
    23. Buckskin Gulch (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Zach a Thank You Note