Melissa McCaffrey

Massachusetts

Good foodie weekend getaway?

My husband is turning 30 in the spring, and I'd love for us to go away someplace for the weekend where we can eat some great food and see some great sights.  Budget is definitely a concern.  We live outside of Boston, so ideally someplace we can get to without too much hassle.  So far my top three are New Orleans, Charleston, and Chicago - any great ideas I'm overlooking?  Or what would your vote be?

• Chicago (city)

Chicago Illinois

• New Orleans (city)

New Orleans Louisiana

• Charleston (city)

Charleston South Carolina

• Kristi Dabertin

I loved the food in Charleston, but my vote would go to either New Orleans or Chicago. Since I live in Chicago, I can address what we have better than I can the other two and would only add that the weather in the spring can be a little iffy, probably not too far off from Boston weather.

Chicago has several of the top ranked restaurants in the country, Alinea being the one that consistently gets the highest marks. Have never eaten there myself but I know at one time it was nearly impossible to get a reservation without a lot of notice and you could easily drop a paycheck there. You can see the other Michelin ranked restaurants here, but if budget is a concern you should also check the Bib Gourmand section.

http://foodtravel.about.com/od/Food-Travel-in-Illinois/fl/2014-Michelin-Starred-Restaurants-in-Chicago.htm

I tend to eat at more ethnic, lower price points restaurants, I can't think of a cuisine that Chicago doesn't have. Turkish, Russian, German, Chinese, Japanese, Peruvian, etc. I've got good recommendation for all of those.

And finally there's what Chicago seems to be known for-pizza, both stuffed and deep dish, Chicago style hotdogs, Italian beef.

Friends of ours who are serious foodies love New Orleans and also Portland which I've not visited.

• Melissa M.

Melissa M.

Thank you! - Alinea is definitely on a wish/bucket list. I'd also love to check out the various Michelin-starred/James Beard award-winning restaurants there. But yes, March in Chicago could be less than ideal :) · (0 likelikes)

• Kristi D.

Kristi D.

On the other hand, Chicago has some amazing indoor activities-the Art Institute, the Shedd Aquarium, the Museum of Science & Industry, etc. So even if the weather is not ideal, there's plenty to do. But, I'm usually looking to flee right about mid March when I've had just about enough of the cold, wet stuff which I dare not name outloud ;-) · (1 likelikes)

• DMITRI R.

DMITRI R.

Hi Kristi, I'm going to Chicago next weekend from Canada and I'm intrigued to find out what would be your lower price point restaurant recommendations. My wife and I really enjoy various cuisines! We will be staying around the Gold Coast. · (0 likelikes)

1. Alinea (restaurant)

• ·
    • ·

Send Kristi a Thank You Note