• Bernardita Cruz
  • "2 weeks road trip through the East Coast and Canada"

Bernardita Cruz

Santiago, Chile

2 weeks road trip through the East Coast and Canada

I'm traveling with a friend and it's our dream to visit New England and Canada. We love small towns instead of big cities. What do you think about this itinerary:
NY (2 days because we have been there twice), Newport (1 day), Provicentown - Cape Code (2 days), Portland - Coast of Main - Bar Harbour (4 days), Quebec (2 days), Montreal (2 days) and the last day we want to spend a complete day shopping so we are thinking going to Woodbury Common in Central Valley and then back to NY. Somewhere worth visiting between Montreal and Central Valley?. Our travel starts and finishes in NY and we would like to rent a car. We are not visiting Boston, because we have been there.
Any suggestions about the itinerary? We will be traveling on September or October. Which month do you think is better?
I have heard that October is beautiful because of the color of the trees.
Thanks a lot for your guidance!!!

• Nathan Platt

I agree with Melissa, that's a lot of driving. If you're OK with that then it looks like a good itinerary.

I recommend late September or October to catch the best foliage. Check this map out, click play to see the typical foliage schedule: http://www.yankeefoliage.com/peak-foliage-forecast-map/

As for Maine , you can see much of Portland in one day. Hit the West End, downtown/Old Port, and if you have another day take the ferry to Peaks Island . I recommend at least two days for Bar Harbor . It's beautiful, lots to do and hard to leave.

The real beauty in the Portland area is outside of Portland though.

Two must visits: Two Lights State Park . Bear right to the park when you arrive, not left toward the lighthouse. Park and head toward the water on the right. It's simply gorgeous. And Fort Williams Park , home of the most photographed lighthouse in the world!

And take a look at Freeport when you're driving up the coast of Maine . L.L.Bean mothership store is there and it's a great shopping town.

• Bernardita C.

Bernardita C.

Thanks a lot Nathan!!! · (0 likelikes)

1. Maine (state)
    2. Portland (Maine) (city)
    3. Peaks Island (island)
    4. Bar Harbor (city)
    5. Two Lights State Park (attraction)
    6. Fort Williams Park (attraction)
    7. Freeport (Maine) (city)
    8. Maine (state)
    9. L.L.Bean (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Nathan a Thank You Note