• Andreas Rossi
  • "Which towns in Tuscany should we see?"

Andreas Rossi

Manhattan, New York

Which towns in Tuscany should we see?

My fiancee and I are renting a small apartment in Florence this summer and we'd like to take a few day trips outside the city, but we're not sure where to go. A friend has recommended Siena, but that's the only one on our list. Anyone have any other suggestions?

• San Gimignano (city)

San Gimignano Tuscany

• Siena (city)

Siena Tuscany

• Lucca (city)

Lucca Tuscany

• Matthew Coccoluto

Siena is a good location to check out, especially the main square. If you are there on either July 2nd or August 16th then you may want to look into checking out the Palio , a horse race around the main square where each of the cities neighborhoods are represented by a rider. It is a very unique and special event followed by massive celebrations, especially for the winning neighborhood. I don't want to compare it to say Carnival in Rio, but it is one of those unique to location events, that people from around the world check out.

I'd also recommend Montepulciano , if you eat pork, then grab yourself a porchetta panino (pork sandwhich) it is some of the best in Italy. Fiesole is a really easy visit from Florence, just outside the city and it is filled with Roman ruins.

I would visit Montalcino , home of the Brunello di Montalcino. Brunello is one of the best wines in Italy and renowned worldwide. One of my favorite day trips I took when living in Florence was here just because of the lunch with wine. Definitely try some of these wines. If you still want more small towns then check out Arezzo and Pienza .

While in Florence I would recommend eating at Acqua Al 2 . They have opened two in the States (one in DC, one in SD), but this is the original and much better than their expansions. Try either the balsamic steak or blueberry steak (I know it sounds strange, but it has a blueberry garnish that is amazing). Another restaurant that I highly recommend in Florence is Golden View Open Bar . I know the name looks strange, but it is situated on right on the Arno just next to Ponte Vecchio . It has an amazing view and I recommend either the truffle chicken, truffle ravioli, or pasta with a boar meat sauce. Just a heads up, as with most restaurants in Italy, portions tend to be smaller.

No trip to Italy is complete without good pizza, and while the country invented it, there are a lot of places that are not very good, meant for tourists. The best pizza I had in Florence was Pizzeria Spera (Via Cernaia 9r, 50129 Florence, Italy). If you have time, go in and sit down, grab a liter of the house wine (last time I was there it was only 5 Euros) and enjoy.

• Andreas R.

Andreas R.

Palio sounds awesome, and I also love pork, wine, and pizza. All that food sounds amazing. Thanks for the suggestions man! · (0 likelikes)

• Victoria A.

Victoria A.

Voting for Il Palio, too. It is magnificent. The square during it is packed. You must book best viewing spots early in advance. The horses, the race spirit, the teams' clothes - amazing! · (0 likelikes)

• Brew J.

Brew J.

These are great recommendations. Makes me want to take a trip to Florence. · (0 likelikes)

• Janine S.

Janine S.

So right! The Filetto aceto Balsamico at Aqua al 2 in Florence is a must! · (0 likelikes)

1. Siena (city)
    2. Palio Horse Race (attraction)
    3. Montepulciano (city)
    4. Fiesole (city)
    5. Montalcino (city)
    6. Arezzo (city)
    7. Pienza (city)
    8. Acqua Al 2 (restaurant)
    9. Golden View Open Bar (restaurant)
    10. Ponte Vecchio (attraction)
    11. Pizzeria Spera (restaurant)

• ·
    • ·

Send Matthew a Thank You Note